Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 at 21:30 PM

Report: Late goals beat Harriers

HARRIERS slipped to defeat at Brackley on Tuesday night thanks to two late goals, Town running out 2-0 winners at St James Park.

To say this game kicked-off in wet conditions would arguably be the understatement of the year.

The heavens opened before the start of play and the rain kept coming with varying degrees of force for much of the first half – tough it wasn’t enough to do real damage to what was an immaculate playing surface.

Harriers did their hosts some damage, though – doing everything but finding the net before the interval with a series of chances, a few of which seeing custodian Laurie Walker in inspired form.

Arthur Gnahoua had already driven an effort at the keeper by the time, in the tenth minute, Andre Brown took flight with an overhead kick that saw the ball fly narrowly over.

Harriers ramped up the pressure inside the last seven minutes of the half and, on 38 minutes Walker was well-beaten by an inventive set-play that saw the visitors zipping the ball around the penalty area at will – Waite’s eventual shot hitting one post before rolling along the line and striking the other!

Waite would then crash a well-struck volley just wide before Walker again earned his corn – keeping out a fine strike from James McQuilkin after the midfielder had been teed up well outside the area by Gnahoua.

Rain had eased at the break but it duly returned for the restart, the hosts working the first opportunity after the break as Steve Diggin pounced on the ball inside the area before working it around Palmer. His shot was well-blocked on the line and, from the follow-up Lee Ndlovu could only hit over.

Harriers eased forward and struck low through sub Knights soon after, before Waite again found himself at the danger end before lashing an effort hard at goal, striking the side-netting.

The game had looked like it would ebb away into something of a frustrating goalless draw for Harriers but, with nine minutes left to play, the ending would reveal itself as far worse.

Despite rarely forcing Palmer into any action throughout the evening, the home side struck a double  blow with two goals in the space of two minutes – Moyo getting both with one fine, driven finish into the bottom corner and another composed effort that he managed to roll beyond Plamer on the angle.

    Latest Match Reports