Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 at 19:01 PM

FULL TIME: Tamworth 2-1 Harriers

A late penalty from Chris McPhee was not enough to grab Harriers a share of the spoils on Bank Holiday Monday as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at Tamworth.

It was a game the visitors started well enough - Brian Smikle having a shot saved and Matthew Barnes-Homer sending a header off target in the early stages.

But from there the hosts took charge with some superb passing and movement - Alex Rodman wheeled away from his man on 17 minutes and hit a long-range shot towards goal that Dean Coleman watched over the bar - the 'keeper was called into action 11 minutes later as Neil MacKenzie's belter needed a fine tip over the bar.

David McDermott's shot nine before the break was too wasteful to trouble Danny Alcock - and if Harriers had made half-time plans to break down a hard-working Lambs' side, they were thrown up into the air as the scoring was opened just two minutes after the re-start.

It was the softest of goals - a simple free-kick was floated into the area and Nick Wright was given time and space to fire under the body of Dean Coleman who was left cruelly exposed almost all afternoon, to his credit at times to keep the score down.

The visitors created precious little and the harsh reality is that they, apart from the spot-kick, failed to get a shot of meaning on target all afternoon - it was down to route-one to etch out a chance for Barnes-Homer on the hour mark as Coleman's long punt upfield was watched down by the front man - his contact wasn't strong enough, though, and Alcock was there to gather.

Just a couple of minutes later it was 2-0 and it was down to rank-bad defending - Tom Sharpe performed well on his first League start for Harriers but the back-line didn't combine as a unit and the youngster's clearance found Alex Rodman who struck an excellent shot across Coleman that found the bottom corner.

It was no more than the hosts deserved and just after Coleman's fine take stopped Wright's 71st minute cross from causing any problems, Harriers got a lifeline that they perhaps didn't deserve. Sub Darryl Knights' corner was handled in the area by Chris Smith - McPhee stepping up to put home a strong spot-kick.

Excellent defending 12 minutes from time stopped the Harriers skipper from drawing his team level - Smikle's cross was taken superbly on the chest by the ex-Weymouth man but Tamworth's Des Lyttle was on hand to take the ball off his toes as he shaped to shoot.

With ten minutes to go Coleman kept Harriers in the game - a corner was floated into the box onto which Richard Tait speared a super volley. Coleman's reflex stop was only bettered once the re-bound came in from Jake Sheridan, the stopper keeping it out well.

Aaron Farrell was given the final seven minutes to make his club debut but despite a strong flurry towards the end, Alock's goal wasn't seriously troubled and the home fans' nerves were settled by the final whistle.

    Latest Match Reports