Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Sep 09 at 21:39 PM

FULL TIME: Forest Green 1-1 Harriers

Inconsistent Harriers dropped more valuable Blue Square Premier points at Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday night, held 1-1 at the New Lawn by the early-season strugglers.

An early stoppage for injury made it a disjointed start but with 11 minutes on the clock the game had its first chance, a neat passing move seeing Darryl Knights played in neatly on goal - the former Yeovil man struck it more or less first time, goalkeeper Terry Burton staying alert to parry it smartly.

It was more of that swift passing that got Harriers their early breakthrough - staying calm and patient, the visitors knocked it around neatly and confidently, Knights at the middle of it yet again as Chris McPhee was played in, slotting the finish coolly past the 'keeper to give his side the lead.

It should have been 2-0 just a couple of minutes later as Brian Smikle's driven angled ball was hammered way over by the onrushing Barnes-Homer from just a few yards out, Forest Green wasting a set-piece chance at the other end, Steve Davies firing weakly with 25 minutes gone.

Either side of the half hour mark the visitors remained dangerous - Barnes-Homer going much, much closer with a rasping free-kick from outside the area, a ball into the box soon after being headed just over the bar by Martin Riley.

As the first half drew to a close the visitors continued to pepper Burton's goal - Knights, Barnes-Homer and David McDermott all going close, with Rovers' Sean Rigg keeping Dean Coleman alert with a low, curled effort that went past the post.

A frantic start to the second half saw the hosts start on top despite McDermott's effort that saw Burton forced into a good save. At the other end, tails were up and just after Lee Baker cleared off the line, Rovers got back on level terms; 54 minutes on the clock as one long ball over the top once again put Harriers to sleep, Coleman left all alone to deal with Rigg who happily slotted home the equaliser.

Given plenty of impetus by the goal, Rovers almost stole ahead five after the hour as good work from David Brown saw Paul Stonehouse blast into Coleman's side-netting.

Just before the 75 minute mark Robbie Matthews was hurled into the fray, making his return from injury as he replaced winger McDermott.

Inside the last ten minutes, Harriers were indecisive in key areas whilst by contrast the now-confident hosts surged forward confidently, Dean Bennett frustratingly picked up his fifth yellow card of the campaign for a needless foul.. Boss Mark Yates made the final throw of the attacking dice by introducing Kyle Hadley for the cautioned Bennett but to no avail.

    Latest Match Reports