Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 03 Dec 09 at 16:33 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 0-0 Tamworth

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided by the Press Association. Photo by Stefan Rapacz

Harriers were left to rue a missed penalty as they were held on home soil for the first time in this League season as they and Tamworth played out a goalless draw at Aggborough on Tuesday.

Mark Yates had urged his side to make amends for the weekend defeat to Wimbledon with a better showing in this home encounter and certainly his charges looked livelier early on, though they were left to rue some sloppy use of the ball as Tamworth stole possession on the half way line on 13 minutes, a ball from out-wide finding Neil MacKenzie who drove one from 20 yards that flew past Dean Coleman's upright.

On 20 minutes a combo of ex-Harriers broke through the home back-line, Simon Russell linking up with Simon Brown, the latter having all eternity to get his ball into the box that Jake Sheridan took down well before firing off target.

Two minutes after the half hour mark Brown should really have put the Lambs ahead, a neat move from the men in blue saw Bradley Pritchard square in the box for the ex-West Brom winger who somehow managed to side-foot wide from six yards.

A couple of minutes later Harriers had a golden chance to score and perhaps against the run of play - charging on a lose ball, Ryan Charles was fouled in the area, the referee pointing to the spot to award a penalty. Up stepped skipper Chris McPhee, who drove a firm penalty to the goalkeeper's left. Danny Alcock was equal to it, though, and dealt Harriers a huge blow by diving well to get a good hand to it.

From the resultant corner there was another huge chance for the hosts - neither could get decisive contact on it as it went from head to head in the six yard box; eventually the bustling Damian Spencer got on the end of it, but powered it over from close-range.

Harriers went within inches of going behind with the second half just three minutes old - lines weren't cleared and a good ball came in which Nick Wright headed superbly and centrally though just a hair over Coleman's upright.

A minute after the hour Yates replaced McDermott with Knights and within four minutes the forward almost made an instant impact, a driving effort from fully 30 yards looked to be heading for the top of the net before Alcock pulled off a fine save to tip it over.

On 67 it was Coleman in action as he was down well to hold a good effort from Sheridan, neither side really able to establish a sustained foothold on the game.

Some ten minutes some great vision from substitute Nathan Hayward etched out Harriers an opportunity - a superbly lofted ball out-wide played in Duane Courtney whose first-time volley was held well by Alcock, who was holding the ball once more moments later as Charles went close.

A moment of real pace and power almost stole Harriers ahead four minutes from time, he outstripped his man and worked his way into the box and drove a ball across the face of goal that was just dying to be hit but there was no one rushing in to take the gamble.

    Latest Match Reports