Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 at 12:23 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 0-1 York

Match report by Matt Wall - stats provided by the Press Association
Pic: Stefan Rapacz

Harriers fell to a costly home defeat at Aggborough on Tuesday night as some inspired goalkeeping from the visitors thwarted them throughout.

With the playing surface looking its best for some time and with some evening rain leaving it well slicked, the game kicked off at a furious pace. Both sides moved it around extremely well, and if anything the quick movement throughout generally led to some sloppy concession of possession.

After a couple of attacks through set-plays, the game got its first real chance on 19 minutes as a City corner caused havoc for the Harriers defence in the area - the ball was hooked towards goal and with goalkeeper Ross Atkins otherwise occupied, skipper Chris McPhee on the line hooked the danger from under his own bar.

Six minutes later the hosts went close as Lee Baker went on the charge - picking the ball up in midfield he advanced on Michael Ingham's goal before powering an effort that sailed low past the foot of the post. Six further on, Baker turned provider as he crossed deep for James Lawrie in the area whose decent header went just off target.

Harriers edged closer and after the half-hour Robbie Matthews toe-poked wide at the far post after some lacklustre defending, whilst seven minutes before the interval young defender Tom Sharpe headed narrowly over from a corner.

Five minutes after the re-start the first save of the night of any note was made and it was Atkins for the hosts who was found in form - good work from Richard Brodie saw the ball slipped to the unmarked Paul Harsley whose shot from the edge of the area was kept out excellently by a strong parry from the Derby County loanee.

Atkins finally found himself beaten seven after the hour as City broke the deadlock - In truth, no danger could be put the stopper's way as a ball whipped into the area was allowed to bounce, the alert Neil Barrett darting in to lift it into the roof of the net.

To their credit Harriers responded immediately and could drawn level. First, McPhee headed down well in the area to bring in sub Marc Goodfellow who saw his driven, angled drive kept out well by Ingham. Moments later, McPhee himself got involved with a shot from 18 yards that the 'keeper needed to tip over the bar.

As the game entered its final ten minutes City were understandably only interested in seeing out their win - late goalmouth scrambles saw a ball flashed across goal and Goodfellow force a save from Ingham at the foot of his post.

The sub winger kept at it and went some way closer on 85 minutes - a tremendous effort from him outside the area would've beaten many a stopper but in Ingham you had a stopper determined to save his clean sheet from being soiled.

    Latest Match Reports