Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 at 16:53 PM

FULL TIME: Newport 3-0 Harriers

Two penalties and a well-taken free kick were enough to condemn Harriers to a disappointing 3-0 defeat on Saturday as they were beaten on the road for the first time in this Blue Square Bet Premier season.

Newport flew out of the blocks at Harriers on this one and were inside the box with less than 50 seconds on the clock as a ball was played out to Charlie Henry who, on the angle, drove an angled effort towards Daniel Lewis between the sticks who managed to palm it around the upright.

Harriers responded with a couple of early efforts of their own - on seven minutes debutant Aman Verma saw his looped ball tipped over the bar by home goalkeeper Glyn Thompson, from the resultant corner, front man Marc Williams headed over the bar after wriggling free into space.

On 13 minutes Verma drilled wide of the post after Dave Hankin's cross was only half-cleared by the home defence, though ten minutes later it was County who should have taken the lead; Robbie Matthews winning a ball in the area and setting up Craig Reid who stabbed towards goal - first the effort was saved superbly by Lewis, Mike Williams then needed for the late save as he cleared the loose ball off the line.

Straight back up the other end on 26 minutes, Marc Williams was a real threat - the ball dropped to him, 12 yards out and he moved it clear of the home defence and around the body of the goalkeeper, only the finish letting him down as he fired into the side netting. Three later, the game turned once more as Jamie Collins shot wide from around 20 yards for Newport.

On 33 minutes we really should have had an opening goal - Leiws came for a whipped corner and got very little, the ball falling to home skipper Gary Warren thought for all the money in the world that he'd headed home, only for Michael Briscoe to prove a fine last line of defence with a late block.

The lead was the hosts' two minutes later however as they finally made some decent pressure tell - a free-kick did it a fine curling effort from Matthews from around 20 yards bent around the wall and Lewis' palm into the back of the net.

A third goal-line clearance of the day for Newport on 40 minutes left Steve Burr's men a little rattled, Matthews was only denied a second free-kick goal of the afternoon just after as his right-footed effort from even further out than the first was saved well by Lewis.

Newport got their second and strengthened their stranglehold on the game in the final minutes of the first period - Keith Briggs somehow adjudged to have handled in the area despite the ball being drilled at him from about three inches - it mattered little to Reid who stepped up to slam home the resultant penalty kick.

The start to the second half was equally bad for Harriers - inside seven minutes it was 3-0 as the hosts were awarded a second penalty as Verma bundled over Paul Bignot in the penalty area; Reid stepped up to slot home his second of the afternoon, sending Lewis the wrong way as the Harriers fans stood silent for the first time all afternoon - though, typically, not for long.

More than happy to sit on a three goal lead, the main body of the second period was a total non event - for both sets of fans; Newport rarely ventured further and Harriers struggled to give the attack the right ammunition with which to impress.

With just 12 minutes to go Harriers their first real opening of the second period as sub Lee Morris was released down the flank, the front man squaring to strike partner Marc Williams whose shot was well held by Thompson. Just after, the Williams brothers combined as Mike crossed for Marc who lofted a shot that was again well stopped.

Harriers pushed and continued to search for a consolation - McPhee hitting the post from one corner and both Briscoe and Williams being thwarted by Thompson.

    Latest Match Reports