Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 at 19:26 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 3-1 Hayes & Yeading

Match report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated by the Press Association

Harriers recorded back-to-back wins for the first time this season on Saturday and in doing so recorded their first home win since March; a 3-1 victory over ten-man Hayes & Yeading United at Aggborough.

With just four minutes on the clock Harriers had a golden chance to strike first blood - beating the offiside trap and the visiting back-line, Nick Wright showed superb alertness to pounce and take the ball around the goalkeeper and the last covering defender, all it needed was the finish into the empty net but the front man could only fire over after struggling to control the bouncing ball.

Ten minutes later and Wright made amends - looking bright and confident, he slotted home coolly past goalkeeper Josh Lennie after winger Callum Gittings latched on to Mike Williams' throw and out-foxed the Hayes defence before working his way in the box before pulling back for Wright to finish.

Once again the test was going to be just how well Harriers could hang on to the lead after recent matches, and although the initial response was strong from the home side, United always looked lively on the break and, just two before the half hour mark, they broke with devastating effect to draw themselves level.

An attempted pass by Wright was blocked in the Hayes area, the ball quickly being worked to skipper Peter Holmes who released debutant striker Adrian Patulea. The on-loan Leyton Orient man kept the ball superbly as he drove down on goal, holding off the attentions of a back-tracking Michael Briscoe before slamming past goalkeeper Daniel Lewis.

United worked the flanks superbly well and caused Harriers some enormous problems - five minutes before the end of the first period there was a half-chance apiece, Keith Briggs shooting wide from outside the area before his Hayes counterpart struck off target at the other end.

With less than five minutes gone after the re-start the game discovered a nasty edge - Jack Byrne found himself down inside the area in some real trouble with an ankle injury. Play continued around him and Malcolm, from close range, drove towards goal and was only denied by a superb save from Lewis.

The ball was cleared away for a throw in and elsewhere in the area Briscoe was tangled on the ground with Patulea - the front man unbelievably shoving the defender in face in full view of the referee who almost instantly flashed a deserved red card in his direction. Praise due for the referee for spotting it, and for Lewis who kept his cool to ensure the scores stayed level in amongst all the madness that also saw Byrne leave the field on a stretcher.

A few minutes later, football took over once again and Harriers should have made it 2-1 as Dave Hankin fired over after being teed up on the edge of the area. Four after hour, Ollie Thorne and Wright both had decent headed chances from corner kicks.

With 72 minutes gone Harriers re-took the lead as they pressed their numerical advantage. A deep, looping cross on one flank from substitute Marc Williams found winger Gittings on the opposite side, his cut-back was deft but accurate as he put it towards the near-post where Chris McPhee turned to apply the finish in front of the North Stand.

Harriers 3-1 Hayes - 11-09-10
Chris McPhee slots home to make it 2-1

Seven further along it was almost three as Harriers went close to netting one of the most outrageous goals in the history of the sport - from inside his own half, skipper Briggs spotted Lennie off his line and launched an almighty effort towards him that only just dropped the other side of his far post.

There was a big blow to Steve Burr with five to go - he lost a second player to a stretcher as Michael Briscoe was taken off with an ankle injury.

Thankfully there was a decent end to the afternoon as Harriers finished by adding a third during five minutes of added time - released on goal midway into the Hayes half, Man of the Match Gittings edged forward before lashing a fantastic finish into Lennie's bottom corner. A fantastic way to cap a fantastic personal display.

    Latest Match Reports