Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Sep 10 at 21:39 PM

FULL TIME: Bath City 2-0 Harriers

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Harriers fell to just a second away defeat of the season on Tuesday night as a battling performance ended in a 2-0 reverse at Bath City.

Early on Harriers played some neat football but found it difficult to break down a resolute Bath defence standing determined to not give anything away on the cheap. Just after the quarter hour mark, however, a game that had seen a relatively open beginning was given its first goal.

Pressing forward, the hosts forced Daniel Lewis to clear his lines with a strong throw; the ball was re-worked into the area with Marley Watkins who went down heavily under the attentions of Jack Byrne - referee Berry awarding a spot-kick which Kaid Mohamed dispatched with aplomb.

The response from the visitors was strong enough - Chris McPhee drove across the face of goal soon after the goal whilst Dave Hankin forced a save from Ryan Robinson with a header from 12 yards.

With 23 minutes gone there was a strong chance apiece as the game really opened up - first, Lee Morris worked his way into the Bath area and past two players before forcing Robinson into a strong save low to his right, with the home side looking to break immediately, Watkins driving straight at Lewis when he perhaps should have done better.

The pressure began to mount on Harriers and four minutes later it should have been 2-0; almost a fine solo effort from Mohamed as he out-foxed the back-line before rifling barely an inch over the bar from 20 yards.

Six before the break it was almost an equaliser for the men from Aggborough - McPhee was released on goal and took the ball down well before squaring in the area, a cross that eventually rolled into the path of Hankin who drove an absolute rasper towards the target that bounced off the upright and away.

Just as Harriers looked to end the half with a head of steam, Bath struck for a second in the dying moments. There looked to be little on as Ollie Thorne shaped to clear a ball upfield, but disaster struck as said clearance bounced straight off the body of a nearby Harriers man, negating the offside trap set for debutant Alex Russell who couldn't believe is luck as the ball fell to his feet for an easy finish.

The reds were slower to start the second period but they had the first real chance of it after ten minutes, Callum Gittings feeding Byrne as he ran from midfield before shooting towards goal, Robinson holding his effort from 20 yards.

Two before the hour mark Harriers went with four strikers on the park with the introduction of front pairing Marc Williams and Nick Wright but initially they struggled to feed them - distance efforts from Briggs and Morris the only half-chances as the half wore on.

The Bath defence never looked comfortable - skipper Jim Rollo had to clear off the line from Wright with 12 minutes to go as Harriers never stopped pushing forward; a goal chalked off seconds later for an adjudged foul.

The woodwork was struck for the second time late on, Briggs' free-kick beating Robinson but thumping off the bar with just four minutes to go - arguably summing up the entire night for the visiting side.

    Latest Match Reports