Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 16:52 PM

FULL TIME: Histon 0-1 Harriers

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Harriers kept their excellent form going and moved even closer to the BSBP top five with a battling, deserved 1-0 win at Histon on Saturday.

It was as typically a scrappy beginning as you'd expect on a chilly November afternoon - neither side managed to work the ball into the danger areas inside the first ten minutes or so, the only half-chance of note being for Histon's Antonio Murray who hit a shot straight at Daniel Lewis after around six minutes.

Indeed most of the first half-hour was completely devoid of any tempo or quality - Lee Morris saw a hopeful volley go some way wide after around 20 minutes as Harriers searched for some momentum.

Thankfully for the game as a whole, some proper action arrived around five minutes later but, unfortunately for Harriers, the chances fell to Histon; first, Zak Mills hit a great, angled volley from around 12 yards that clipped the bar and flew over the target. Soon after, Lee Smith got a sight of goal and snatched an effort just wide of Lewis' far post.

The visiting side's best period of pressure to that point then followed as the men in yellow forced a succession of corners and few nervy moments of defending for the hosts. They kept on asking questions and, on 34 minutes they stole ahead with a fine goal; Dave Hankin's short corner was dinked into the area by Lee Vaughan where Chris McPhee was on hand to do no more than flick a deft boot at it, sending the ball looping over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net via the underside of the bar.

Five minutes later there was almost the perfect response from Histon as Daniel Sparkes was allowed time and space to advance on Lewis' goal before driving an excellent shot towards goal that fizzed just wide.

The opening stages of the second half were as quiet as the first but close to the hour mark it really should have been 2-0 to Harriers - Stutes' player-boss David Livermore slid on the ball and allowed Marc Williams a free sight of goal. The front man had to take time to control it and round the goalkeeper and in the end the delay was enough for the hosts to re-group, Remy Clerima getting back to clear the ball away from danger.

That was to be Williams' last influence of the afternoon - around nine minutes later he was taken off as Steve Burr gave a club debut to new signing Jamille Matt who came on and immediately set about ruffling a few feathers.

Ten minutes later, as the game quietened, a rare venture forward saw a lively Blair force a corner, the ball falling free to an onrushing Lee Vaughan who hit a rising, curling shot over the heads of most but also just wide of the target.

As the game entered injury time, Harriers had a chance to put the affair to bed - a free-kick on the edge of the area whipped in by Keith Briggs and met by sub Callum Gittings who could only head downward and wide.

Mecca Bingo

    Latest Match Reports