Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Nov 10 at 20:45 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 2-1 Eastbourne

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.Photo - Stefan Rapacz

Goals from Lee Morris and Marc Williams gave Harriers a crucial 2-1 win over Eastbourne Borough at Aggborough on Saturday as Steve Burr's men moved level on points with the Blue Square Premier play-off places.

This game came without the lightening start that has accompanied Harriers' most recent outings - both sides taking time to feel each other out; there was still a goal inside the first ten minutes, though! A tremendous overlapping run from Mike Williams saw the defender pull the ball back in the area to Lee Morris who took a touch and pulled away from his man before turning and driving the ball past Rikki Banks and into the bottom corner of the net.

In truth that was as bright as the early stages got - in any sense; it took until well after the quarter-hour mark for another real chance of note; Morris crossing excellently for Marc Williams who was denied by an assistant's flag as he looked to get a foot to the ball and fire towards Banks.

Five minutes later Banks was all that prevented it being 2-0 to the hosts - Morris' shot had been blocked by a visiting defender, the ball falling to Matty Blair on the edge of the area who curled a beauty of an effort that the 'keeper just managed to keep out with a diving one-handed save.

Harriers tried to ensure they were always working the visiting goal over - just a minute before the half-hour mark, Chris McPhee took the ball down well on the edge of the area and hit a rising half-volley that looped narrowly wide of goal.

Five minutes later Marc Williams warmed the palms of Banks with a well-struck shot, and with just four minutes to go until the break, the best move of the half saw McPhee play a neat one-two with Blair, the latter driving into the area and shooting just over.

Two minutes after the break there was action at both ends - right after Marc Williams had been denied a penalty following a shove in the back, at the other end Jamie Taylor arguably had the visitors' best chance to that point as he held off Michael Briscoe before shooting straight into the chest of Daniel Lewis.

More great defending from Eastbourne's Ben Austin denied McPhee a goal two minutes after the hour - blocking his shot after he'd been set up well by Blair, Simon Johnson then firing over at the other end.

It had been a long time coming and on 68 minutes a deserved second of the day arrived for Harriers; fantastic work from Dave Hankin out wide saw him ask all sorts of questions of the visiting defence, the ball eventually driven firmly across the face of goal by Lee Vaughan,Marc Williams on hand to power home a finish.

Almost instantly it could have been 3-0 as McPhee glanced a great header just wide of the target; and Harriers were cruelly made to pay for not widening their advantage further just two minutes later as Borough pulled a goal back. Frustratingly for Harriers it was such a simple goal, too, a deep corner fed towards the far post where sub Richard Pacquette was on hand to head into the back of the net.

End-to-end doesn't do a descriptive duty to this one - within six further minutes, Harriers on two occasions went agonisingly close to making it 3-1; sub Callum Gittings firing a thunderbolt off the bar, and McPhee seeing a good header saved superbly by Banks.

Harriers saw out four minutes of injury time to record yet another fine Aggborough success.

Mecca Bingo

    Latest Match Reports