Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 03 Jan 11 at 16:57 PM

FULL TIME: Tamworth 2-2 Harriers

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

A third-minute lead was not enough to gift Harriers a second straight win at Tamworth on Monday as these two sides played out an eventful 2-2 draw.

Harriers were desperate to do well in this one having stretched everything to finally break down Forest Green on New Year's Day and, thankfully, the breakthrough came for them at the Lamb a lot earlier - about 90 minutes earlier, as the visitors struck inside the first couple.

The ball had been worked into the area well by Harriers who were building up play confidently - play fell to Chris McPhee who instantly drove one towards former Aggborough goalkeeper Ross Atkins - the custodian was down early to save excellently, though unfortunately for him the ball fell straight to the feet of former Lambs man Nick Wright who, on his return to the Harriers line-up, netted with his first touch of the day.

Immediately there was pressure from the hosts to deal with and Adi Yusuff was full of pace as he set about causing problems for the defence in yellow. Some ten minutes after they strode ahead, Harriers found their lead nipped in the bud as Tamworth evened things up; Yusuff the man as he battled past Micheal Briscoe and crossed neatly towards the middle of Daniel Lewis' goal where Lee Vaughan was in the right place at the wrong time, the ball coming off him for 1-1.

If that was a big shock for Vaughan and for Harriers, things got worse five minutes later as Tamworth took the lead. Yusuff's threat going towards goal looked to have been dealt with but Vaughan's back-header towards Lewis was one touch too many - it fell straight into the path of Yusuff who gratefully tucked it beyond Lewis off the post.

In fairness the response from Harriers was excellent, ridiculously on 25 minutes this game got its fourth goal. With real determination, McPhee bust a gut to beat his man near the by-line and surge into the area, crossing towards Callum Gittings who, perhaps unwittingly, set up Matty Blair who was on hand to stab home at the far post.

Nine minutes later Tamworth set about going straight up the other end and making it 3-2; only Lewis denied them as Danny Thomas strode towards goal and unleashed a 20-yard drive that went sailing towards the target before the Aggborough stopper turned it round the angle of bar and post.

Thankfully for the pulse, the start to the second period was nowhere near as frantic as the second - half-efforts from Michael Briscoe and Blair the only real points of mention before, three minutes short of the hour mark, Wright forced an excellent save from Atkins with a looping effort.

Thomas forced Lewis into a fairly routine save with 66 minutes gone, Blair at the other end then charging into the area before seeing his effort snuffed out by a scrambling home defence.

With a little over a quarter-hour to go there was a change out wide for Harriers as Dave Hankin came on in place of the ever-willing Blair - just after, Wright only narrowly missed out on connecting with a lobbed pass as he went one on one with Atkins.

Three minutes further on there were just inches separating Harriers and a third goal - a free-kick only half-cleared to the feet of skipper Keith Briggs who sent it back from where it came, a delightful first-time shot fizzing just wide of a beaten Atkins and the post.

Somehow they went even closer on 84 minutes without scoring as McPhee left Tamworth for dead on his way into the box - his centre ball was terrific, and completely bamboozled Tom Marshall who could only head it against his own cross bar and away.

There was late drama, Mark Albrighton sent off against the Lambs for the second time this season against the Lambs - two yellows for him inside the final three minutes of the game.

Mecca Bingo

    Latest Match Reports