Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Feb 11 at 20:10 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 1-0 Bath City

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association. Photos with thanks to James Marsh.

Harriers dug in deep on Saturday to edge out Bath City for a scrappy but deserved 1-0 win in the Blue Square Bet Premier at Aggborough.

The game got underway at what was an exceptionally windy Aggborough - neither side managed to keep the ball under reasonable control for any length of time and, kicking against it, Harriers were having to run through treacle.

With eight minutes gone it was the hosts who finally got an opportunity at goal - Callum Gittings rose to meet Lee Vaughan's cross, the ball falling to Keith Briggs who chested down before volleying narrowly wide.

Some ten minutes later the best chance of the day to that point by an absolute mile came from Bath and Adam Connolly - he was on the end of an attack as Kaid Mohamed opened up Harriers, picking up the ball in the area and slamming against the bar as the woodwork came to the hosts' rescue.

Steve Burr's men had to wait until the half-hour mark for a chance of similar seriousness, a delightful cross from an under-pressure Mike Williams found Jack Byrne at the far post who met it with a nice downward header that Ryan Robinson between the sticks needed to turn wide.

Thankfully, just four minutes later Harriers found a breakthrough and the day's opening goal - the play was again magnificent from the home side as a super one-two on the edge of the area between Chris McPhee and Tom Shaw ended with the latter breaking free and smashing a finish past Robinson and into the roof of the net.

CELEBRATIONS... In this together.

Six minutes before the break, Byrne tried the absolutely outrageous to get his side 2-0 up - or at least we think he did. Either that or an attempted cross towards the far post was enough to completely bamboozle Robinson as the ball sailed past him and bounced off the inside of the upright.

Inside the first ten minutes of the second period there was an excellent chance for Harriers to double their advantage as the Bath defence struggled to clear lines; the ball fell free in the area and after Gittings and Mark Albrighton both took a stab at it, Nick Wright eventually got on the end of it and drove goalwards, the shot only narrowly going wide.

Four minutes further on the visitors surged forward through the lively Mohamed, always a threat on his day, and struck the bar for the second time in the afternoon as he entered the area unchallenged before curling one towards the target.

As the second period reached its midway point opportunities on either goal were at a premium, Lee Phillips rolling one wide of the post as Lewis watched on whilst Wright drove one over from distance with Robinson beaten. Just moments later, it was Bath again on the attack as Joe Burnell headed one over from a corner.

With just less than a quarter-hour left to play there was a chance once more for Harriers to put the game to bed as McPhee hit a looping ball towards the far post; Byrne was up well to win it superbly, beating Robinson in the area as his effort sailed just over the bar.

The chances came at a regular rate if not a frantic one - on 83 minutes Briggs was the latest to try his luck as his header from distance bounced narrowly wide.

Mecca Bingo

    Latest Match Reports