Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Sep 11 at 18:57 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 3-1 Alfreton

Report - Matt Wall
Stats - Provided and generated by the Press Association
Match images - Stefan Rapacz

Kidderminster Harriers had to dig in deep to get back to winning ways in the Blue Square Premier and managed to record a deserved 3-1 win on its 125th birthday against Alfreton at Aggborough on Saturday.

The visitors began this game with a sheer determination to defend and do very little else; that successfully thwarted Harriers' attacking intent in the opening stages as Steve Guinan was forced to make do with a volley over the bar from around ten yards and a thumping header over the top inside the first 15 minutes or so.

Indeed the slow start was summed up by the fact that the clock had ticked over to 26 minutes before a pair of goalkeeping gloves were warmed; Daniel Lawson making comfortable enough work from a free-kick drifted in by Kyle Storer.

The script seemed to be following a rather haunting path going on previous experience and, sure enough, with half an hour gone Alfreton took the lead, a penalty awarded as Luke Jones had been adjudged to have fouled Theo Streete in the area as both went up for a cross. Somewhat predictably it was one-time Harrier Drewe Broughton who stepped up to do the honours, beating Daniel Lewis from the spot.

Frustration then set in and Harriers saw a couple enter the book in the form of Storer and Guinan as a fairly tepid game threatened to boil over.

On 37 minutes there was at last a solid opening and a big save to be made at last, Tom Marshall the unlikely source as his fizzed free kick looked to be heading for the top corner before Lawson's palms intercepted.

From the resultant corner Harriers were level, Scott Phelan whipping a ball towards the far post that was nodded back across by Jones and turned in from close range by Marc Williams.

The first half ended on a note of contention as Broughton looked to have left Jones laying with an elbow, but come the second half it was the visitors who came close to adding to the score as Matt Wilson nodded over the bar, latching on to a free kick.

You sensed if Harriers could rise about the tactics employed by the opposition and concentrated on playing football they'd be rewarded and just five minutes into the second half that belief was rammed home; Lee Vaughan's deep and driving cross met at the far post by Guinan who touched past a flapping Lawson.

On the hour, Storer struck another decent enough free-kick just off target, substitute James Vincent robbed of an effort on goal ten minutes later as he was hauled down by Leigh Franks after beating one man on the edge of the area.

Harriers looked to have lost Guinan to injury with less than ten minutes to go as he overextended in an attempt at winning the ball, he was withdrawn with Jamille Matt heading into the fray.

It was Matt who played a big part in the goal that ultimately settled the affair; superb work from he and Marc Williams saw the ball - eventually - reached fellow sub James Vincent who finished superbly off the foot of the post.

    Latest Match Reports