Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 11 Oct 11 at 21:39 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 2-2 AFC Telford

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Harriers were once again held at home on Tuesday night as four goals were shared evenly in a 2-2 draw with AFC Telford at Aggborough on a night where Lee Vaughan was sent off against his former club.

Few words can describe the unbelievable start to this game - simply inside a quarter of an hour supporters inside the ground experienced as much from a game as is possible!

It all started with just 90 seconds on the clock - Harriers burst out the taps and caught the visitors cold as James Vincent's superb through ball released Jamille Matt who was rushing into the box, he looked to take the ball around goalkeeper Ryan Young and was floored for his efforts to the award of a penalty.

Step up former AFC man Lee Vaughan from 12 yards to do the honours against the ex-employers; though he could only watch on in horror as his shot ballooned over the bar. Worst still, barely a minute later, Vaughan was giving his marching orders - a straight red card for a challenge on Courtney Pitt in which he appeared to have won the ball, though apparently dangerously so.

A bad night somehow got even more frightful with just eight minutes on the clock - with Harriers frantically trying to reorganise, Telford took advantage by looping a shot towards goal that was tipped excellently onto the bar by Dean Lyness; though the ball fell straight to Jon Adams who took a touch before firing a piledriver into the back of the net.

Thankfully, however, the events of this crazy start weren't all bad - just four minutes after going behind the home side levelled - Matt had started the game like a man with a point to prove, and Young had no answer to his dipping drive as it fell, on the angle, behind him and into the back of the net.

Still the action continued at a real pace - gelled together further by the sending off perhaps, Harriers were easily the better side and could and should have gone ahead when Marc Williams and Matt broke free two-on-one against defender Dan Preston, they tried the one-two but Williams' pass back to his strike partner was a touch too heavy and ran out of play.

Harriers continued to press however and got their rewards with a second goal - a free-kick saw Callum Gittings drift in an absolute beast of a delivery into the penalty area; there was barely a home head near it but it was enough to scare Preston into action as he powered the ball past his own goalkeeper.

Before the break it could crazily have been 3-1; Vincent snatched at a shot after being free on the edge of the area just as Williams had seen a shot blocked, the former Wrexham man then, on the stroke of half-time, lofting a shot just wide after being set up by Wright.

To their credit Harriers looked to press Telford at every opportunity with a narrow advantage in their favour in terms of goals - though on the break the visitors kept the ball well and always looked a threat on the break, Sean Newton blazing an effort over the target on 55 minutes.

Curiously there was a change of referee on the hour mark - Jerry Simpson making way for one of his assistants Craig Grundy. Telford seemed to respond better to the several-minute break, substitute Greg Mills whipping a free-kick towards goal that was parried away well by Lyness.

A little over ten minutes it was a case of same again - Telford looking to make the extra man count as they pushed forward, Craig Farrell bursting into the area and shooting on the angle and being thwarted by a strong save with the legs by Lyness.

The goalkeeper could do little about the visitors' second when it arrived however; Chris Sharp the strongest at a corner kick on 76 minutes as he headed in at the far post to the delight of the 500-odd away following.

Young Robbie Thompson-Brown was thrown on for his first appearance of the season with just over ten minutes to go but Farrell could well have put AFC into the lead moments later as he broke forward and warmed the hands of Lyness with a rising effort.

    Latest Match Reports