Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Nov 11 at 16:56 PM

FULL TIME: Harriers 2-0 Tamworth

Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Two first-half goals at Aggborough on Saturday were enough to see Harriers get back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Tamworth in the Blue Square Bet Premier.

There was an early scare for the home side here as as third-minute corner from Tamworth was whipped into the box and in turn thumped on to the bar - the action almost immediately broke up the other end as Harriers took the lead!

The ball was driven up field and aimed towards Steve Guinan who took it down superbly before aiming a great cross into the six yard box that would have been met by Marc Williams had he not been flattened by defender and one-time Harrier Francino Francis. Yellow card for him, and penalty for Harriers as Lee Vaughan stepped up to do the honours by beating Jonathan Hedge from 12 yards.

That early lead could have been doubled just a couple of minutes later, too; this time it was Vaughan cross that was met by Dave Bird with a deep header that was kept out excellently by Hedge who got a strong palm to it.

On 18 minutes Harriers got the reward their strong start deserved with a delightful second goal. Mickey Demetriou's long throw caused all sorts of problems in the area, as did his recycled cross - chested down on the edge of the area by a defender, the ball fell nicely to Guinan on the edge of the area who, in one movement, turned sharply and smashed the ball into the top corner of the net.

Harriers continued to press as the half wore on and through the delivery of Vaughan they had a real weapon, only some excellent handling from Hedge around the half-hour mark preventing a rise in the score line.

Some six minutes before the break the Lambs worked their first effort on target of the day as Kieron St. Aimie's through ball fed Iyseden Christie in the area whose shot was well held by debutant goalkeeper Tony Breeden.

Clearly unhappy at his side's first half showing Tamworth boss Marcus Law made a double change to try and get back into the game; ten minutes after the break they had a chance through Christie but he dragged his shot wide of the target.

There was a little more danger from them just after the hour mark as winger Ashley Cain wriggled free into the area to fire a ball across the face of goal that needed to be headed over his own bar by Michael Briscoe.

In truth the second period as a whole was a flatter affair than the first for Harriers but with due credit they defended the comfortable two-goal margin well where they had to, a couple of goal mouth scrambles as close as the Lambs got to a goal as we reached the last 15.

Soon after that point Harriers made their first change of the afternoon as Nick Wright replaced Dave Hankin, a third goal almost then arriving as Guinan nodded over from a Gittings cross.

    Latest Match Reports