Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 01 Jan 12 at 21:59 PM


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

A delightful injury-time leveller from Jamille Matt saw Harriers take their unbeaten run into double figures on New Year's Day courtesy of a 1-1 draw at Forest Green Roverrs.

The home side had the first opportunity of the day and it came on just three minutes as Matt Taylor rose to meet a decent delivery inside the six-yard box; heading downwards and just wide of Tony Breeden's upright.

The clock had yet to even reach ten minutes when Roves had another chance to break the deadlock as they went some way closer with a James Norwood header through a crowd of bodies that thumped off the woodwork and was eventually cleared.

After some 18 minutes Harriers registered their first real interest at goal as they tried to build some pressure with a succession of throws near the corner flag, Lee Hendrie the man with the opportunity as his half-volley flew just wide of the goal occupied by James Bittner.

Two minutes before the half-hour mark James Vincent, back in the side, was next to try his luck with a good run and shot that Bittner initially spilled before gathering as it made its way to goal.

Just after, super vision by Hendrie saw him release striker Jamille Matt on the break, Matt bearing down on goal with the angle against him before shooting at goal and forcing a good hold from the 'keeper.

Just as Harriers had started to build some momentum, Forest Green broke away to give the game its first goal - the defence switching off as a Stokes cross made its way into the area, Jan Klukowski chesting it down and slamming it past Breeden and in to the back of the net.

Just after that, though, Harriers responded with their best chance of the half, Matt playing in Kyle Storer who, from 20 plus yards drove a rising effort at goal that needed fingertips to take it over the bar from Bittner.

Six minutes into the second half Forest Green were again making the most of the running and they came oh-so close to getting a second goal, only denied by a cracking save form Breeden and then, from Norwood's shot, a great block by Lee Vaughan.

Five minutes either side of the hour mark Steve Burr made attacking changes by bringing on Nick Wright and Steve Guinan in search of a way back into the game.

Both made something of a difference and on 69 minutes Wright guided a shot over the bar after he was teed up well in the area by Matt.

With a quarter of an hour left to play Bittner was forced into what was perhaps an all-too-rare save for the second period as he tipped a Storer free-kick from 20 yards just around the post,.

A fine double save from Breeden with less than ten to go kept Harriers alive in the tie, Wright bustling his way into the area into the area minutes later and seeing a shot held.

What was perhaps the golden chance, though, came on 88 minutes as Matt pounced on indecision in the Rovers defence - he stepped between goalkeeper and defender to loft the ball over them both and towards goal, before watching it bounce agonisingly wide.

As normal time trickled into injury time, however, the goal the 400 plus away fans wanted finally came - a beauty of a delivery from Mickey Demetriou caused mass panic for Bittner - Matt on the spot to steal in and nod the ball past him and - eventually - into the back of the net.

    Latest Match Reports