Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Jan 12 at 17:05 PM


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Never-say-die Harriers moved back into the Blue Square Bet Premier places on Saturday as a mass of injury time drama saw them record a simply breathtaking 3-1 win over Hayes & Yeading United at Aggborough.

The visitors made what was by far the brighter start to this fixture and, with their shooting boots, may well have struck an early goal as Harriers struggled to steady themselves into the game defensively.

There was a moment of concern too for Mickey Demetriou early on, the reds' defender collided with one of his own team-mates and was down receiving treatment for a good number of minutes before getting to his feet.

A corner routine after around a quarter of an hour brought about one of the first chances of the day for Harriers as James Vincent took a touch on the edge of the area before his low shot was held by goalkeeper Carl Pentney.

On 19 minutes the goalkeeper was again in action as Harriers went closer - Lee Hendrie and Jamille Matt combining to set up Callum Gittings who shot on the stretch with an effort that was turned around the post.

Some six minutes later the same man was virtually keeping his team in it - as Matt fed Hendrie the space opened up for the former Villa man who curled one towards goal that was met by another strong sav 2e.

Against the run of play, though, United took the lead on 28 minutes - plenty went up to meet a deep cross into the area but very few moved to pick up the seconds; among those who did was Luke Williams who turned and fired a fine finish into Tony Breeden's bottom corner with his right foot.

Harriers' defending was at sixes and sevens at this point and on 31 minutes Breeden was beaten once again as Julian Rose curled a beautiful effort towards his top corner that thumped off the top of the post, Williams eventually firing a rebound off target.

The home side responded well however and Tom Sharpe, Lee Vaughan and Matt all forced saves from Pentney as he looked to keep his team in front.

Harriers started the second half much as they began the first - on the back foot, as Louis Soares picked up on loose play before driving towards goal and drilling an effort at Breeden that the 'keeper hurled himself at to turn around the woodwork.

There was a big chance, though, for them to bring the scores level on 52 minutes, Demetriou finding some space deep inside the Hayes area and hitting a tremendous effort for more than 20 yards that beat Pentney but cannoned off the bar.

Ten minutes later Harriers made their first changes of the afternoon - a double switch seeing Nick Wright and Daniel Bradley come on in place of Gittings and Vincent.

Bradley's impact was immediate as he set about getting something on target for Harriers but his determination and an effort from Hendrie still weren't enough to breach Pentney.

Bradley's drive on 72 minutes fizzed just wide and looked to have Pentney scrambling, the reds then bringing Steve Guinan into the fray as they desperately searched a way back into the game.

That very man has been paid good money to be the predator at close range for decades - and seven minutes after coming off the bench he was the man that grabbed the illusive goal - turning the ball home through a crowd as Hayes failed to clear a corner.
A mass brawl moments later was enough to take the steam out of Harriers charge forward for a winner - blows appeared to be thrown as at least one home player was clearly floored, the only result somehow being a pair of yellow cards for the visitors.

Justice for the game was perhaps done, however, as the game entered SIX minutes of time added on at the death - a ball back to Pentney sold the goalkeeper way, way short - the man you'd want at that very moment was THERE to pounce on it, round the said custodian and slide the ball into the back of the net. Joy, joy and so much late drama.

But there was MORE!

Naturally Hayes had to push to make sure they didn't lose a game they'd led for so long - and in doing so they left a huge, huge hole at the back that was exploited by Wright and Matt - the former eventually forcing the ball into the back of the net.

3-1 - enough said - there are no words left!

    Latest Match Reports