Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Mar 12 at 16:52 PM


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Harriers recorded a morale-boosting victory on the road on Saturday as they came from behind to thump Braintree Town 4-1 at Cressing Road.

It was a lively enough beginning here and true to form there were chances at both ends in the early minutes.

At one end Steve Guinan fired an effort high and off target for Harriers with his first sight of goal whilst at the other end the troublesome Ben Wright took aim and forced a save from Tony Breeden.

Unfortunately for Harriers it was the Iron talisman who had another chance with just six minutes gone and this time he took it - fine work between him and strike partner Sean Marks working into the area where he fired an angled shot into Breeden's bottom corner.

The visitors set about making amends for the early goal but getting level, with ten minutes on the clock they went close as Dave Hankin, back in the side, set up Guinan who saw another drive held well by Nathan McDonald.

Soon after the team went closer still and with a dozen on the clock Matt Paine pulled off a great block to deny Hakin a goal as he shot firmly, McDonald then tipping the ball over the bar from Jack Byrne's header; Tom Marshall then getting in on the act by forcing a save with a well-taken effort.

On 19 minutes once more it was Harriers forcing the issue - wonderful vision from Anthony Malbon released Marvin Johnson out wide who in turn teed up Lee Vaughan on the area who hit a first-time effort over the bar.

Just after the half-our mark Breeden did well to deny Sean Marks with a strong save, Jai Reason soon after trying his luck from 18 yards but finding the goalkeeper strong.

On 40 minutes there was a real talking point and potentially one of the goals of the season as Mickey Demetriou tried his luck with a shot from the half way line that the goalkeeper back-tracked to tip onto the underside of his own bar before falling on the ball and just about seeing it out for a corner.

From that resultant corner, driven in by Johnson, the ball came lose to Tom Marshall who spun before driving it through a mass of bodies and into the back of the net for a thoroughly deserved equaliser.

Harriers took to the field for the second half and made much the brighter start; on 52 minutes they completed the turnaround and took the lead as Hankin's dangerous, looping ball into the box was met by the chest and volley of Byrne who fired in an excellent finish.

Just after the hour mark Harriers extended their lead further and it came almost out of nothing for the industrious and outrageous Malbon - he turned his man and watched the ball down in the area before, around 15 yards out, bending a beautiful curling shot around McDonald and into the far corner of the goal.

Still the goals came and they certainly didn't decrease in quality, 68 minutes on the clock as substitute Nick Wright released Hankin out wide who in turn fed Byrne who took a touch, central on goal, before rasping another unstoppable shot into the back of the net that McDonald was never going to reach. 4-1.

With a little under a quarter-hour left to play Harriers introduced Ryan Rowe to the action before Byrne saw his name taken by the referee to continue a memorable afternoon.

Just eight remained on the clock when Wright raced clear once more but with Rowe unmarked just to his right the front-man went for goal and was denied by McDonald's smart stop.

    Latest Match Reports