Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 09 Mar 12 at 23:14 PM


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Two second-half goals in quick succession downed Harriers at Aggborough on Friday night as they were beaten by league leaders Fleetwood despite dominating the first hour.

It was a fine start from Harriers in front of another healthy crowd - Anthony Malbon had one, good early sighter as he looked to meet a Lee Vaughan cross but saw his effort blocked, while on seven minutes experienced hit-man Steve Guinan saw a shot from distance head wide.

Blocked efforts from Vaughan and Guinan and a stab wide on the stretch from Marvin Johnson saw the home side well and truly edge the opening 20 minutes with the only worry being that 'keeper Scott Davies had yet to make a serious save.

The start made by Steve Burr's men clearly made a marked impression on the visiting bench as just after the half-hour mark they made a tactical switch in bringing Lee Fowler into play, thus handing a freer role to non-league sensation Jamie Vardy.

That certainly seemed to remove his shackles; within a minute he burst into the area and forced a save from Breeden before Andy Mangan blazed a shot some way over the bar.

With five minutes to go until the break the hosts had a wonderful chance to take the lead - two, in fact; first the ball played to Dan Bradley in the area who struck it, beat the goalkeeper but thumped the foot of the post. The ball came out to Guinan who reacted quickly to stab at it, his shot saved by the legs of Davies.

On 43 minutes the action was back up at the other end and back with Vardy who turned and blazed into the box before firing at Breeden who was down well to gather.

Barely two minutes after the re-start Harriers went within inches of taking the lead once again - Folwer's slip allowing Marvin Johnson to run free before fizzing a superb ball along the six-yard line; any touch would have converted it but Malbon, on the stretch, just narrowly missed it.

It was a tricky chance but one the hosts were made to pay for missing - just minutes later with 53 on the clock and with pressure building around the area as Fleetwood attacked, the visitors stole ahead as Andy Mangan's delightful 20 yard effort soared past Breeden and into the back of the net.

If that was something of a hammer blow then what followed was unbelievably hard to swallow; Fleetwood made it 2-0 with a whipped corner into the area that sparked a mass game of pinball that ended with Brodie sticking his neck out and forcing it over the line off Vaughan; Harriers two down and Aggborough hushed.

Nine after the hour mark Harriers were again knocking at the door and came close to getting a goal back as Lee Hendrie's superb delivery was matched by a header that was captured well by Davies.

Steve Burr introduced substitutes in the form of Nick Wright and Ryan Rowe in a bid to dent the Fleetwood deficit but in truth that second goal was a real sickener that the reds struggled to overcome.

    Latest Match Reports