Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Mar 12 at 21:37 PM


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for by the Press Association.

Harriers dominated every stat except the one that mattered on Tamworth as they were held to a goalless Tuesday night draw at the Lamb that they controlled from start to finish.

Inside three minutes here there was a half opening for the away side as Marvin Johnson won a corner that was whipped towards the far post by Dave Hankin and glanced wide by Anthony Malbon,

Just after and with less than five gone there was another chance and it was Malbon on the end of it once more as a Luke Jones header landed in his path; one touch to set and another to blaze it just over the bar.

Harriers continued to create and with just under 12 on the clock it was Marvin Johnson who went close as he broke into area on the angle and struck a fierce drive that was turned around the post well by goalkeeper Jonathan Hedge.

The home side struggled to find any early rhythm but on 18 minutes there was a chance for them to test Tony Breeden as Kyle Patterson took the ball down in the area and drove an effort across the face of goal.

The best of these early exchanges came with the first half exactly half-way through; Johnson racing away and crossing in firmly towards the centre of goal where Steve Guinan struck high over the bar from just yards out.

Back up at the other end it was Patterson again doing all he could to keep his side in it; again picking up the ball in a good position before rasping one at Breeden that clattered off the upright.

Amazingly on the half hour mark Harriers went closer still to breaking the deadlock without actually doing so; a fine double goal-line clearance denying both Hankin and Malbon as Johnson again caused danger out wide.

Marna snatched at another couple of openings as the half reached its close though again there was again another chance for the veteran Guinan as the visitors continued to pressurise; good work from Johnson once more enabled Malbon to hook a ball back across goal to Guinan who shot just high of the top corner of the goal.

Harriers began the second period in much the same way they controlled the first - on 53 minutes Kyle Storer was presented with a good chance after being teed up by Johnson but he saw his shot blocked, just after, Malbon driving once more but straight at Hedge.

A double substitution for the Lambs, one enforced, firmed up their ranks defensively as the hour mark passed - one of those new faces, Charlie Reece, saw his shot blocked inside the area soon after joining the fray.

A fizzed Johnson corner and a shot from close range with a little more than a quarter of an hour left were both spilled by Hedge who shakily kept goal with his side on the back-foot as Harriers desperately searched for a goal.

They almost came unstuck at the other end as well, Breeden forced into a very rare save from Danny Thomas' belter of a drive; he tipped this one just around the foot of the post.

Back up at the other end Harriers upped the ante once more, still they pressed forward and from a corner routine the ball fell to sub Nick Wright who, against his former club, lifted one towards goal that was only just parried away by Hedge.

A lung-busting run from Wright opened up Tamworth completely with just three left to play; he passed to fellow sub Ryan Rowe who took a good touch before blazing over the bar from ten yards with Hedge at a loss.

    Latest Match Reports