Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Jan 13 at 21:30 PM


Marvin Johnson struck the only goal as Harriers secured a routine 1-0 win over AFC Telford United at Aggborough on Tuesday night to keep chase with the play-off pack.

There was an opportunity apiece early doors as the game got underway in breezy conditions – goalkeeper Ryan Young blocking an effort from  Harriers’ Anthony Malbon after just a couple of minutes as the striker looked to meet a free-kick; Steve Leslie soon after firing straight into the palms of Young’s opposite number Danny Lewis.

That may have represented a bright enough start but in truth chances were at an extreme premium, so much so that it wasn’t until the half-hour mark that we had our next opening as the visitors went close, Jake Reid’s angled shot was blocked wide of the target.

Four minutes later Young made a super save to prevent Harriers opening the scoring; Nathan Blissett nodding the ball down on the edge of the area into the path of Kyle Storer who leaned on to it and struck a volley that Young parried away.

Young would be beaten on 37 minutes however as Harriers did break the deadlock – Lee Vaughan’s sweeping ball deceiving every one  of the Telford defenders as it found its way into the path of Johnson – the winger knocked the ball on before easing it into the bottom corner of the net.

Six minutes after the interval Blissett tried his luck from range and kept Young alert as he took the ball well, the stopper doing so similarly against former Bucks’ man Vaughan moments later.

Two minutes shy of the hour there was a smart chance for Harriers to extend their lead; a darting run by debutant Danny Jackman saw him play in Anthony Malbon who in turn slipped in Blissett who could only fire over from close range.

Clearly eager to impress, Vaughan again caused them all sorts of problems with 68 minutes gone but could only fire a shot on the angle wide of the target; Blissett going closer just a minute later as he drove a shot at Young that the custodian did well to parry around the  post.

Young was in simply sensational form yet again – on 76 minutes he was the only thing keeping Telford in the game, this time as a deep ball was drilled towards the far post and met by the head of Chey Dunkley, Young instinctively touching it on to the bar.

    Latest Match Reports