Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Sep 12 at 16:45 PM


Harriers made it five defeats and five draws from their opening ten games of the season as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Alfreton Town on Saturday. 

With less than 20 seconds or so on the clock the home side set about pressing Harriers and they forced a save out of Nathan Vaughan when a cleared ball could only find Nathan Arnold who took aim only to be denied by his namesake.

Town certainly had the best of the early pressure but after eight minutes there was a chance on the break for Harriers as a superb move saw Callum Gittings charge clear before supplying James Vincent who, one on one was denied by a good save from the feet of goalkeeper Jon Stewart.

Just after the quarter-hour mark a decent delivery into the area from Josh Gowling brought about another good opportunity, Nathan Blissett getting a strong, looping header on to it and sending it just over the angle of bar and post with the goalkeeper stood watching.

Midway through the half there was a snatched chance for Anthony Malbon as he dragged an effort wide off a deep delivery from Mickey Demetriou, former Harrier Dan Bradley seeing a shot blocked at the other end as things opened up.

Alfreton stayed a threat from set-pieces and it was from a re-worked throw that they took the lead on 28 minutes, Bradley finishing powerfully on the angle after being teed up by Arnold. 

Harriers tried to respond and on 39 minutes they went close as Blissett powered past Alfreton on the break, working a great angle for himself before his attempted drive towards the fine corner was intercepted by a diving defender, Malbon crashing one over the bar as the visitors looked to turn up the pressure.

The second half was merely moments old when a Gittings corner found Blissett whose header was blocked on the line, Town packing in to scramble the danger away as Harriers threw in a succession of balls into the area without finding a way through.

Stewart proved an able last line of defence with an hour gone as he held on to a driven Malbon free-kick; but he was beaten four minutes later as Harriers got back on level terms – Malbon turning his man on the edge of the area from Blissett’s ball before curling a great finish into the corner of the net.

Marvin Johnson was the first Harriers change of the day as he replaced Peniket and with the game entering its final quarter of an hour proceedings were certainly hanging on a knife edge.

With just eight minutes to go the difference almost came and again it was from Malbon as he got his head down and ran at the defence before drawing another smart save from Stewart with no tackle forthcoming.

Report - Matt Wall
Stats - PA
Gallery - Dave Pursglove

    Latest Match Reports