Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Nov 12 at 21:30 PM


Harriers recovered from conceding an early goal but might still consider an entertaining 2-2 draw at Woking on Tuesday evening as two more Blue Square Bet Premier points dropped.

It was a nightmare start of epic proportions for Harriers as they went up against the side who held the distinctions of holding both the best scoring and worst defensive records of the entire Blue Square Bet Premier.

The logic of watching Harriers games would seem to point to a goalless draw but it quickly became apparent that this wouldn’t be the case as the home side wasted one chance within a minute through Bradley Bubb before netting the opening goal within three – Lee Sawyer firing home powerfully.

Mickey Demetriou came close to making things equal with less than a quarter of an hour played – he’d already crashed one wide after being teed up from a free-kick before he floated one in himself that almost deceived the goalkeeper and landed in, though in the end it dipped wide.

That just seemed to give the visitors a boost in confidence, however, just past that 15-minute mark the scores were level as Anthony Malbon beautifully lifted in a stunning cross – the second in succession – right into the six-yard area where Nathan Blissett was on hand to power home a header for his first ever Kidderminster goal.

A crazy beginning to one of the most open games in recent memory continued as, with just 27 minutes on the clock, Ryan Rowe burst through on goal only to be brought down by Adam Newton – penalty to Harriers, though Lee Vaughan powered the resultant spot-kick straight down the throat of Aaron Howe who got a strong pair of hands to it to keep it out.

Harriers did end up getting their second to make it 2-1, however, with just a few minutes to go until the interval. Rowe and goalkeeper Howe were again instrumental as the former picked up the ball with his back to goal before getting a shot away that Howe somehow turned away – sadly for him, only to the feet of Blissett who smashed in his second from a yard out.

Woking began the second 45 in the same vein as they kicked off the first and on 49 minutes they should have equalised as Betsy again teased the visiting defence before finding room for a shot that Vaughan parried – the ball landing at the feet of former Weymouth man Gavin McCallum who was denied from about two yards by a superb clearance from Vaughan the defender.

From there Harriers defended solidly for a period but on 65 minutes Woking struck back once again. Nathan Vaughan’s clearance put Josh Gowling under a little pressure but even so he looked to have been fouled by Bradley Bubb as he raced on to it before lobbing the keeper to make it 2-2.

The frantic game almost saw Harriers go back in front virtually immediately as Kyle Storer whipped in a super free-kick delivery from outside that looked to be dipping under the  bar before Howe got a hand to it to palm it over the target.

Blissett continued to be a handful and on 81 minutes he almost sealed a memorable, superb hat-trick as he picked the ball up at the near post but, one-on-one, impressive goalkeeper Howe again on hand to prevent a breach as he got down well to save.

    Latest Match Reports