Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 Dec 12 at 16:45 PM


Harriers kept up their winning run by dominating title-chasing Wrexham at Aggborough and picking up a deserved 2-0 victory to continue their climb up the table.

A chilly Aggborough saw a warm beginning to the game as Harriers looked to cause problems for the Dragons early on; Lee Vaughan’s cross and Anthony Malbon’s attempted early lob among the first chances at goal.

With nine minutes gone Joe Clark burst through midfield for Wrexham and forced Danny Lewis into a routine save before, a few minutes later, Harriers’ Keith Briggs drove a rising free-kick at visiting stopper Joslain Mayebi that the Wrexham man tipped over the bar.

Past the 20-minute mark  and there was a solid chance apiece as, first, Malbon clattered a header off the woodwork from Kyle Storer’s corner delivery with all from Wrexham well beaten and up at the other end, veteran front-man  Brett Ormerod side-footed wide from close range.

Harriers always remained a threat and with a little under ten minutes to go until the break they created another chance as Malbon went on the charge out wide before bending a superb ball into the box where the waiting Jamille Matt powered a header straight at Mayebi who held well.

With five left of the half Harriers almost forced the ball into the back of the net via a Wrexham man; Marvin Johnson racing away and feeding Matt who turned the ball towards the far post where the onrushing Jay Harris could only slide the ball into his keeper’s side netting.

Another fine break for Harriers as the fourth official lifted his added time board; this time Keith Briggs sprayed a great ball into the path of Callum Gittings who, free in the area, sliced a volley just wide of the target.

Wrexham began the second half brightly and on 49 minutes Nick Rushton curled a neat effort around the home defence but also the far post of Lewis, Jay Harris having a pop moments later with one that went wide.

Three minutes later they should arguably have been ahead as the reds switched off momentarily and allowed Wrexham too much time to a get a ball into the box that was met by a superb header from Danny Wright who got above his man – Lewis there to hold strongly.

The first goal of what was a super clash arrived on 57 minutes and again it came as Johnson was set wheeling away on the flank – free of all defenders he found the time to cross with a deadly ball that was crashed home by none other than Jamille Matt who so gleefully powered in his first goal since his emotional return to the game.

That drove the home side on and within a couple of minutes they came close to adding a second as Mayebi inexplicably almost turned Malbon’s firm shot on the angle over his own line, Johnson’s beautiful, rifled effort just after crashing just inches wide.

The only downside to a spell of sheer dominance for Harriers was they didn’t further strengthen their advantage and through Briggs they had another fine chance as he put everything he had from an effort from distance though it again sailed narrowly passed the target.

On 73 minutes Johnson continued to give his defenders a torrid time and he almost found his name on the score sheet but his shot after being set up by Chey Dunkley’s good work was parried around the post by Mayebi.

Wrexham pushed on hard in the latter stages of the second half but it was Mayebi who kept them in it with four minutes to go as he somehow got one hand to Vaughan’s fierce drive away from goal from under his own bar.

However Harriers threw on Nathan Blissett in the dying seconds and it was his very first touch  that finally put this contest to bed as he got his head on to the end of Mickey Demetriou’s cross to place the ball past the  beaten Mayebi for his third of the season.

    Latest Match Reports