Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 04 Dec 12 at 21:30 PM


Harriers kept their superb run of wins and clean sheets going on Tuesday night with a battling 1-0 success over Tamworth at the Lamb.

The first chance of a cold night came in the tenth minute and it went the way of Harriers as winger Marvin Johnson opened up Tamworth down the flank before crossing low into the area where Jamille Matt was waiting to pounce, though his  effort had too much on it and sent it crashing high over the target.

A  further ten minutes on and Harriers kept on pressing and this time it was Johnson on the end of a chance as he met Mickey Demetriou’s cross with a flick header that dropped narrowly over James Severn’s goal.

The home side were slower to start and their most encouraging move by far came on 25 minutes as Marcus Kelly played a great ball up field where it eventually found George Baldock who wriggled free and fired over at a distance from which he should really have done better.

The visitors may have controlled the early stages in terms of pressure but the best chances were certainly for the Lambs and with six minutes til the break they went close once more, skipper Richard Tait turning and firing at goal with Lee Vaughan the last line of defence as he hooked clear.

There were early sights of goal for both sides in the second period as Kelly and Johnson for the respective outfit s hit off target, Severn in the Tamworth goal soon after doing well to cling on to a deflected shot from Vaughan. 

What was already a disjointed game wasn’t helped by a series of substitutes as the hour mark came and went, little care being taken with possession by either side despite an obvious desire to try and force a breakthrough.

A deep ball into the box from Demetriou with a little over a quarter of an hour left came so close to getting the game a breakthrough that would have offered some warmth but Johnson’s header clipped off the post. Just after, Johnson was the supplier for sub Ryan Rowe’s downward header that was cleared away.

Johnson was again the man involved in the 83rd minute; meeting another on-the-money delivery in the area with a half-volley that beat the goalkeeper but not the covering defender who desperately managed to clear at the last.

 Just when you thought a hard-earned point would be enough for the reds, their fighting spirit shone through once more as they stole ahead inside the final minute. Sub Ricky Shakes set the ball rolling, literally – his low cross being spooned up in the air with Rowe on hand to nod it over the dive of Severn and into the back of the net.

    Latest Match Reports