Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Mar 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers got back to winning ways on Saturday as they came from behind to grind out a 2-1 victory over Braintree Town at Aggborough

The start to the game was decidedly scrappy and it was the visitors who looked the brighter in the first five or ten minutes, striker Ben Wright having the best of their half chances with a shot on the angle that flew into the side netting. 

Danny Pilkington’s advanced run after he was released by Keith Briggs with less than a quarter gone was as dangerous as Harriers looked early on but his intended target, Anthony Malbon, had just strayed offside as he looked to side-foot home.

Harriers literally had zero attempts at goal in the first 45 minutes so it was an especially big blow when Braintree, seemingly content with a point, broke the deadlock just a couple of minutes before the interval; Kenny Davies nailing a sub Danny Sparkes corner to find the back of the net.

It took until injury time for that first shot to arrive for the reds and it was at least a positive response with that; Malbon finding room in the penalty area to bring the ball down and drive at goal with a rising effort that sailed narrowly wide of the target.

Visiting stopper Nathan McDonald would make his first save a minute or two into the second half as he had to parry down Kyle Storer’s strong effort off Mickey Demetriou’s pass; Danny Pilkington then dragging a shot just wide.

Ten minutes past the re-start Danny Lewis had to watch wide a Sparkes free-kick; but with an hour gone it was 1-1 and fantastic work all-round, James Vincent robbing the ball and feeding sub Marin Johnson – he raced into the area and fired a fine ball across the area where Malbon was on hand to fire home.

That upped the noise levels inside Aggborough and you almost sensed Harriers would go and find a second and just minutes later they did; Malbon winning it out wide and firing a deadly early ball that Town man Dean Wells could barely help but turn into his own net.

Harriers then pressed home arguably their first real spell of pressure and relative comfort as they saw out the win, Braintree stood rocked by the quick-fire double.

    Latest Match Reports