Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 26 Mar 13 at 21:30 PM


Harriers dropped two precious points at the top of the table on Tuesday night as they drew 2-2 with a lively Woking side at Aggborough despite leading twice.

The start the reds made to this one was one of the strongest for some time as they quickly took the game to their visitors with Anthony Malbon and the recalled Marvin Johnson both going close inside the first ten minutes as the pressure was amped up.

The first goal wasn’t long in coming  - it duly arrived with 14 minutes on the clock, a deadly corner delivery whipped into the danger area by Kyle Storer and met near the far post by the head of Josh Gowling who stooped to nod it past Seb Brown.

John Nutter’s cross up at the other end forced Danny Lewis into a save as he tapped the ball over the bar up at the other end but the Harriers chances continued to flow, Danny Jackman driving one over before Michael Gash nodded a header wide.

There’s no doubt that Harriers had created enough chances to have netted more than a couple in addition to the one but just past the midway point of the first half it was all-square as Woking levelling from the spot through Bradley Bubb after Mickey Demetriou had been penalised for a foul inside the area.

Lewis had to be smart to deny Kevin Betsy two minutes later as the Cards immediately looked to go in front, but there was a big chance again for the hosts with 32 on the clock as Gowling set up Chey Dunkley in the area with a neat header, his fellow defender being denied by a fine defensive block.

The Cards came out brightly in the second half and, six minutes in, they could and maybe should have been 2-1 up as Jayden Stockley rose to head from close range, Lewis leaning forward to superbly tip the ball away from goal.

There then followed a crazy spell of two goals in a minute – you knew there would be goal mouth action when these two teams collided as they duly provided, Malbon nodding home from close range to make it 2-1 on 55 minutes as Kyle Storer’s ball was nodded back across, but Woking hit back within 60 seconds, Billy Knott given time and space with a cheeky step-over to waltz through the home defence before firing the past Lewis to level things at 2-2.

Pressure then started to mount around Aggborough as supporters urged their team on to a third goal – Woking continued to play their part and arguably looked the most dangerous of the two sides for a good period of the half though Keith Briggs came mighty close for the reds on 73 minutes as he crashed an effort from distance off the post.

Substitute Danny Pilkington did his best to make it 3-2 with just about ten minutes but his well-taken free kick was met with an equally smart save as Seb Brown got a good hand to it to turn it away, the winger’s dipping shot a moment later falling off target.

Gash then saw a header nodded off the line with five left on the clock, the striker seeing a free-kick from 12 yards pinging off the bar as Woking held on almost for dear life.

    Latest Match Reports