Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 19 Mar 13 at 21:30 PM


Incredible Kidderminster Harriers went top of the table on Tuesday night as they netted a 93rd minute winner to win away at Newport County 2-1.

With just two minutes played a raucous home crowd were lifted by their side pressing hard, Lee Vaughan put under pressure and forced into an error in his own penalty area as Scott Donnelly nicked the ball from him and drove at goal with a shot that was blocked away, the same player cutting wide soon after.

With just over seven minutes gone the County’s deadly returning hit man, Aaron O’Connor escaped his man deep in the Harriers half and laid the ball of neatly into the path of Christian Jolley who took a touch before sliding an effort wide of the post.

On 21 minutes it was the lively O’Connor o the spot once more as he picked the ball up deep in Harriers territory but with just Danny Lewis to beat his effort was sliced wide of the target.

The home side would thoroughly dominate those early stages and even though they had a host of chances it would be the visitors who, against the run of play, netted the first goal four minutes later as Anthony Malbon twisted and turned in the area before putting it on a plate for Michael Gash to net from close range.

Straight up at the other end there was a chance for an equaliser as in-form Lewis was strong to deny Jolley on the angle, though the reds’ stopper was powerless to stop the hosts’ equaliser close to the half-hour mark as Andy Sandell’s low effort was deflected into the bottom corner of the net.

There then followed arguably the only settled period of the game as both sides, considering the conditions, moved the ball around well – the next big chance coming Newport’s way on 41 minutes as the ball was played to Lee Minshull who swept a shot towards goal that Lewis parried away, the Aggborough custodian doing the same to keep out Donnelly once more.

The start to the second period was evenly contested with Malbon spooning an effort from a corner over the bar before Jolley struck the inside of the post as he tried to bend an effort beyond Lewis between the sticks.

Mickey Demetriou tried his luck three minutes before the hour mark with a placed effort that home keeper Lenny Pidgeley got down to comfortably keep it out.

A wonderful break from the hosts on 66 minutes probably should have brought about their second goal but as Jolley raced on to meet sub Willmott’s flick he was wasteful in rushing a shot and sending it some way off target.

Willmott and Jake Thompson were then equally as off target moments later when both should have done better, Harriers sub Callum Gittings also firing wide.

Jolley once again continued to be a menace as he forced Lewis into yet another stop as we entered into the last quarter of an hour but the final say would go to Harriers as they scored incredibly deep in injury time. The hard work was Gittings’ as he won and took the corner that Yakubu nodded against his own bar, Chey Dunkley on hand to bundle home the rebound. 

    Latest Match Reports