Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 26 Dec 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers got back to winning ways on Boxing Day as they combined some explosive football with some dogged defending to edge out Hereford United 2-1 at Aggborough

It was a typically scrappy beginning to what appeared to be a typical derby - there were few sights of goal in the opening minutes though Amari Morgan-Smith had one shot in the fifth minute that dragged just wide of the post. 

With ten gone, however, the day's first chance on target resulted in the first goal as Michael Gash lofted a superb free-kick effort through an unconvincing Bulls' wall and into the bottom corner of Daniel Lloyd-Weston's goal.

Come the quarter-of-an-hour mark Harriers might have added a second as Lolley's fine skill saw him twist players in the area before shooting and drawing a fine stop from Lloyd-Weston, the pair repeating the trick on 25 minutes as another close-range parry kept it at 1-0.

The home side were in control early on and were dominant after taking the lead and so their second, when it came, was hardly a surprise but it was a wonderful effort fro, Danny Jackman on 28 minutes, rounding off another fantastic team move with a fine angled volley past Lloyd-Weston for his first of the season.

Well past the half-hour mark Harriers had strong penalty shouts - and not for the first time on the day - as Lolley looked to have been dragged back as he shaped to finish from six yards, and six minutes later Amari Morgan-Smith struck just off target as he tried to meet a low Lee Vaughan cross.

On the stroke of half-time Harriers almost went 3-0 up as another sweeping move saw them go close, Jack Byrne's low shot rolling narrowly wide of the upright, Michael Rankine then having an attempt just after the re-start as he struck high over the bar.

Just after, though, the visitors did pull a goal back through Josh O'Keefe; after Lewis had saved superbly to keep out Micah Evans's header, the ball was worked back into the area and amid a scramble, was eventually poked home.

That gave United renewed impetus and they dictated play much in the same way Harriers had in the first period, Chris Sharp curling one toward goal forcing Vaughan to make a fine clearance from on the line.

Into the final ten minutes the United pressure continued; both Chris Bush and Sharp might both have fancied their chances to score but somehow neither did, one seeing a shot blocked on the line as the later struck into the side netting. 

With four minutes left O'Keefe came close to his and his team's second as he turned on the ball inside the area but his shot was wide by the smallest of margins. 

    Latest Match Reports