Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Mar 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers created chance after chance at Wrexham on Saturday afternoon but couldn't find a way past the hosts despite dominating large spells of a 0-0 draw in Gary Whild's first game in charge.

 A bright but breezy afternoon greeted the two sets of players and both made some good early running, former Dragon Adrian Cieslewicz looking dangerous in Harriers colours while Andy Bishop, a Harrier now wearing Wrexham red, up at the other end had a chance at goal after Danny Lewis spilled a ball at his feet but Jamie Grimes, back in the team, blocked superbly.

On eight minutes Lewis was fully on his guard to deny another attack in the form of Mark Carrington's shot as he fisted the ball over his own bar, Amari Morgan-Smith fashioning his team's first chance on 20 minutes with an angle shot that was driven wide of the goal.

Johnny Hunt and Joe Anyinsah both then tried their luck with efforts at goal before Danny Jackman, on the edge of the opposite area, blazed over the bar for Harriers from  18 yards with around half an hour gone.

Just a few minutes before the break an almighty scramble in the area, largely featuring Malbon, almost snatched Harriers a goal but the hosts survived, particularly thanks to Neil Ashton's goal line clearance. Then, on the stroke of the interval, home stopper Andy Coughlin did superbly to keep out a close-range effort from AMS as the striker looked to finish.

Early in the second period Grimes was again on hand to deny Wrexham, this time through Carrington's shot as Harriers found themselves opened up a little, AMS then looking similarly threatening up at the other end as the visitors tried to counter.

Callum Gittings them blazed one over to cap a good move and cross from Cieslewicz, 'Ciss' then supplying Malbon who in turn passed to Gittings whose driven cross needed a good parry from Coughlin to keep it from heading in.

Close to the hour mark it was Ciss who was at the heart of things for Harriers; driving superbly past two or three team mates on a charge towards goal before laying the ball off to Malbon who drove a deflected finish, angled and just narrowly wide.

Still further pressed and yet even when AMS had the ball in the back of the net it was ruled out for offside, that coming before Coughlin's neat low save to parry away a driven attempt from Lee Vaughan.

With a dozen minutes to play the home side saw themselves needlessly reduced to ten men as striker Andy Bishop was dismissed for a second yellow, the second time this term he's seen red against his former side.

And inside the last five minutes there was yet another chance for Harriers and, again, another good save by Coughlin as he got down to claw a shot destined for his net courtesy of Malbon's boot away from the danger, almost from on the line.

And yet, after all that, Wrexham might well have snatched it in injury time as a Grimes header was barged down by Ormerod who attempted to lob Lewis from just outside the area, the Harriers custodian managing to parry it over.

    Latest Match Reports