Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Mar 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers moved level on points with the play-off places with an important 1-0 win over Barnet on an eventful afternoon at Aggborough.

Both sides made a flying start to this one with the ball being played at a rapid pace from one end to the other with a series of early corners and free-kicks, even though neither goalkeeper was truly troubled. 

After a dozen minutes, visiting goalkeeper Graham Stack made the first save of the day, albeit a routine one, when he held off a Lee Vaughan attempt after some good hold-up play near the area by Anthony Malbon.

After 20 minutes Mickey Demetriou volleyed wide a Michael Gash cross before Barnet's Kieron Cadogan also struck off target with his angled attempt directed towards the near-post occupied by Danny Lewis.

Lewis himself needed to be at his best eleven minutes prior to the interval as he threw himself at Cadagon's 20-yard free-kick to tip it over the bar when it looked destined to swerve beyond him, Demetriou then letting fly with a drive of his own just after though Stack was able to watch it off target.

On the very stroke of half time some sensational skill from Malbon, as he jinxed his way past a number of players, almost got Harriers in front but the striker's final effort was just off target as Stack looked beaten.

The lively Cadagon remained a threat and only an excellent point-blank save from Vaughan kept out the Barnet man's effort early in the second period, Harriers going close after 55 as Malbon, who looked a menace, raced away before firing a shot across Stack that the custodian pawed away.

Bang on the hour mark and with the game well and truly opened up, Harriers took the lead after what was, by far, their best spell of the game to that point; good build-up play from Danny Jackman and Callum Gittings finding Michael Gash who took aim and found the back of the net with an effort that dipped up and over Stack with the aid of a slight deflection.

Barnet hit straight back with successive corners to keep the pressure on at the other end but Harriers moved forward with full confidence and both Amari Morgan-Smith and Malbon tries their luck with Stack standing tall on those occasions. 

With less than a quarter of an hour left to play only some outstanding defending from Josh Gowling kept the Bees at bay as he twice blocked after Keanu Marsh-Brown's low cross at the by-line sparked a real scramble in the area.

Marvin Johnson was introduced with around ten minutes left and when he was played through, one on one with Stack, he took two fists to the face from the shot-stopper who was a good 30 yards from his own goal, the referee left with no option but to issue a straight red.

A header SIX minutes into injury time almost saw the Bees snatch something but a fine Lewis save kept the sheet clean and the points.

    Latest Match Reports