Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Mar 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers were held to a deeply frustrating 1-1 draw at Aggborough on Saturday afternoon against Southport in the Skrill Premier.

Southport began the game brightly and wasted no time trying to get at Harriers, but it was actually the home side who fashioned the game's first couple of chances as defensive partners Josh Gowling and Jamie Grimes both putting efforts off targets from corner kicks.

Distance efforts from visiting goalkeeper Scott Brown and Harriers hit-man Michael Gash then followed as both sides had half chances before, on 20 minutes, an angled attempt by Anthony Malbon was deflected wide of the target.

Seven minutes later, however, as the visitors recycled a free-kick ball, the home side were caught cold as Jason Walker found himself in a world of space before beating many a red shirt and getting the ball to Danny Hattersley who turned it home from close range.

Nine minutes before the break it should arguably have been 2-0 but, in a good position and with just Lewis to beat on the angle, Yammy Osawe drove his shot straight into the arms of the 'keeper.

Soon after the restart there was a good early chance for Harriers through Jack Byrne who got excellent contact on the ball as he swivelled on a shot, the effort flashing across the target and marginally wide.

Karl Ledsham then hit over the bar for Southport before Byrne repeated the trick by hammering another one just wide after a good charge forward by Lee Vaughan.

With neither side really able to fashion together any prolonged spell on the ball it was a frustrating and scrappy affair and so when the equaliser arrived on 77  minutes it was a huge relief; goalkeeper Hurst making a real hash of clearing a cross with the ball breaking loose into the area and into the path of Byrne who lashed it home for his fourth of the season.

Harriers were the only side interested in finding a winner as Southport abandoned all attacking intent  - even allowing for a late strike of the woodwork but in the end the afternoon yielded only a frustrating draw.

    Latest Match Reports