Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Mar 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers were denied a deserved away victory on Saturday as a late, dramatic penalty at Salisbury saw then held 1-1 having finished the game with just nine men.

Both sides began the game at a good tempo so it wasn't a surprise that early chances came at either end, Clovis Kamdjo firing off target with an angled shot for the hosts before Anthony Malbon's low attempt for the visitors was comfortably held by goalkeeper James Bittner.

Charlie Sheringham should then have put his team ahead as Salisbury won the ball too easily off their own goal-kick, the striker fluffing his lines around twelve yards out as he planted one over after making a late run.

Still the chances came - all inside the first ten minutes - Michael Gash next up as he headed over from close range after good work from Malbon to hold things up before supplying a cross.

Just inside the midway point of the half Harriers had two more key openings - Amari Morgan-Smith won a crunching one-on-one with Bittner before narrowly missing the target with an attempt from a seemingly impossible angle, before Callum Gittings saw a drive from just outside the area deflected behind.

Harriers had the lead with around ten minutes left of the half and it was a sublime strike from Gittings - Gash winning the ball and nodding it down into his path off a goal kick before Gittings struck it excellently beyond Bittner and into the back of the net.

The game stayed fully open and Gittings had a chance to double his own tally before the break before drilling wide, Harriers having further snatches at a second soon after the restart as Jack Byrne saw one snap-shot held before Storer tucked one just off target.

Two before the hour AMS powered a header over from a corner but likewise Salisbury then went close soon after as striker Dan Fitchett took control of it in the area before curling an effort low at Lewis that the stopper held.

Sheringham then nodded another header down and wide as the hosts tried for an equaliser before AMS only narrowly  missed out on picking up sub Josh O' Keefe's pass as the visitors looked for a counter and a chance to arguably put the game to bed.

There was a long delay inside the final ten minutes as Danny Jackman, Harriers' third change, took a bang in the area and picked up an injury. Despite considerable efforts from him to try and see the game out in serious pain, he eventually went off as his team went ahead a man light.

Worse fortune was to follow, too - amid a dramatic late scramble, Harriers looked  to have cleared their lines but, so it would seem, did so with the use of a hand to the result of a penalty that Sheringham duly converted - Storer sent off for either that 'handball' or his part in the mass brawl that followed.

    Latest Match Reports