Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Oct 13 at 16:46 PM


Two first half goals were enough to help Harriers to another key away win as they secured a 2-1 victory at Southport on a blustery Saturday afternoon. 

Harriers hit Southport with a third-minute counter attack that so nearly brought about the first  goal of the game; Lee Fowler and Jack Byrne combining to release Joe Lolley out wide who charged at goal before seeing his shot tipped over the bar by goalkeeper Danny Hurst.

The same man broke the deadlock for Harriers just four minutes later, however; he pounced on a re-bound after Amari Morgan-Smith touched a deep Lee Vaughan cross on to the post to score his third of the season.

Southport's Scott Brown saw an effort held by Nathan Vaughan with around 20 played and soon after Karl Ledsham went close as he nodded a header over the bar from a corner, the latter perhaps fortunate to only escape with one yellow card around the half hour mark after rash challenges on both Danny Jackman and Kyle Storer.

Inside the last six minutes of the half there was action at either end, first as Storer fired over for Harriers and just after, Vaughan's fine save denied Southport's Chris Almond with a fine save as he looked to nip in and steal the ball and shot from close range, Josh Gowling then on hand to block away the follow-up.

The hosts would draw level with four minutes to go until the break as James Smith's header at the  near post from a free-kick just squeezed past the grasp of Vaughan, but the advantage for the away side would be quickly restored thanks to striker Nathan Blissett's bullet header to put home Vaughan's cross.

Southport hassled early in the second half in search of an equaliser but sub Brice Irie-Bi's low shot was a waste as it dragged wide of the post, one of the Harriers changes, Marvin Johnson, lifting an effort on to the top of the net soon after the hour.

On 69 minutes 'keeper Vaughan did well to get down and keep hold of Danny Hattersley's shot, Johnson again warming Hurt's hands up at the other end before Harriers saw clear penalty appeals turned down following a foul on Dior Angus, another late sub, in the area.

In the final moments Johnson again had a chance to put the game to bed but saw his effort saved well by Hurst, Hattersley's shot up at the other end coming close to securing a point for Harriers before Jack Byrne got in to block.

    Latest Match Reports