Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Apr 14 at 21:30 PM


Harriers were held to a 1-1 draw at Forest Green on Tuesday night after having an injury-time winner disallowed, a result that does little for the team's late play-off chances.

The home side were the quicker out of the blocks and inside the first four minutes James Norwood might well have had them ahead, a misplaced pace from Harriers putting the front man in on goal where he was denied first by a Danny Lewis save and then a block from Jamie Grimes.

Norwood was again the point of the attack seconds later but his angled shot was across goal and wide, further chances coming as Bradley Jordan saw a header loop wide before Eddie Oshodi planted a header on to the bar, all inside the first ten minutes!

Unfortunately the start the hosts made meant that a goal was coming and with just a dozen on the clock it arrived with a dozen on the clock as Paul Green swept home a rebound after Lewis kept out a Yan Klukowski shot.

Chances continued to come for the hosts as Harriers struggled to even register a presence in the game, Green shooting off target again before Matty Taylor took aim with an effort of his own that sliced away from Lewis.

Harriers had to continue their defending as it was Michael Gash back in his own area who turned one shot away for a corner, which Oshodi again met with real power, this one glancing narrowly wide.

Just past the half-hour mark, Harriers had their first attempt at goal and it was one worth waiting for as Jack Byrne almost levelled the scores, a volley from distance drawing a fine save from goalkeeper Sam Russell who got down to turn it around the post.

That at least edged the visitors into the game a little and after Mickey Demetriou fired a distance effort over the bar, Nick Wright did superbly to pick up on a Michael Gash pass, turning both the ball and his man before forcing a save from Russell with a low effort.

Harriers began the second period as they finished the first and they made it count quickly - just a few minutes gone after the restart when Demetriou was released, the defender biding his time excellently before crossing low for Nick Wright to slot home.

Josh O'Keefe then nodded a header over before Amari'i Bell's free-kick needed a good fist from Russell to clear, the hosts staying a danger on the hour as Green's effort from 18-yards was well heldĀ 
by Lewis, Jordan's shot then sent crashing wide.

This end-to-end tussle then saw Amari Morgan-Smith go close to putting Harriers 2-1 up but his low drive was quickly parried away by Russell, Michael Gash hitting one wide on the drop as we entered the final 20.

With 82 on the clock sub Adrian Cieslewicz opened his legs and ran at Forest Green after picking up the ball, he attempted to curl an effort beyond Russell but the custodian did well to parry it away with a strong pair of hands.

Harriers finished by far the strongest and, after one corner kick saw a header cleared off the line, the visitors had a winner disallowed in hugely dramatic circumstances in injury time as Josh O'Keefe's effort was chalked off for handball.

    Latest Match Reports