Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Nov 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers got back to winning ways on Saturday as they beat Wrexham 3-1 at Aggborough on an entertaining and at-times controversial afternoon.

On the back of a defeat at Barnet and a draw at Macclesfield, Harriers will have been keen to get back to winning ways and did so thanks to two goals from Joe Lolley and Chey Dunkley's header.

The visitors controlled much of the opening third of the game and went close through Joe Clarke as he took aim with half a dozen minutes on the clock though the ball sailed just over the bar.

Ten minutes later home skipper Kyle Storer had a similar effort go off target and a few minutes after the hour mark it was Harriers who went ahead, perhaps against the run of play, as Lolley met Danny Jackman's ball in the penalty area with a swept finish beyond Joslain Mayebi and into the bottom corner.

Six minutes before the break it might well have been 2-0, too, Mayebi spilling the ball in the area leaving Michael Gash to turn and hook it at goal though defender Stephen Wright did superbly to clear it off the line.

Just after the interval Jay Harris almost equalised for Wrexham with a rising drive that Danny Lewis palmed on to the post, Amari Morgan-Smith then nodding over the target up at the other end soon after.

Four after the hour Harriers were 2-0 up and Aggborough was rocking, the influential Lolley played in and causing all sorts of problems as he beat his man again before powering at goal with an effort that Wrexham defenders on the line were powerless to stop.

On 71 minutes the visitors got themselves back in it - though for a moment they hadn't, if you get what we mean! Sub Adrian Cieslewicz did well to steal the ball and, moving into the area, he unleashed a shot on the angle that beat Lewis and found the back of the net - though the ball carried on travelling and flew back out the other side! Confusion took over and Wrexham players, understandably furious, protested with officials and, in the end, the goal was awarded to make it 2-1.

But Harriers needed less than seven minutes to restore their two -goal advantage and their third goal of the day to round of the scoring and make it 3-1 came from the head of Dunkley as he thumped a header back across the goalkeeper from Lee Vaughan's cross to truly complete his comeback to the team.

There was further 'agro' just a minute later as they were reduced to ten men -striker Andy Bishop handed a straight red card for an altercation with Storer - Harriers able to see out the remaining minutes to go back to second in the table.

    Latest Match Reports