Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Nov 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers and Tamworth shared eight goals at Aggborough on Saturday with the reds smashing in five to complete a fine 5-3 win in the Skrill Premier.

Steve Burr's side, ruthless last time out against Wrexham, started in the same vein here and within a few minutes they might well have taken the lead, if not from Chey Dunkley's early header then certainly from Joe Lolley's close-range shot after a jinxing run that goalkeeper Cameron Belford did superbly to parry away.

Three minutes later the stopper was on hand again with some splendid early form, palming away a rising free-kick drive from Michael Gash, former Harriers man Justin Richards driving wide for Tamworth to mark the visitors' first chance up at the other end soon after with Nick Chadwick and Richard Peniket following up with further efforts.

Harriers then surged ahead with two goals in as many minutes to establish a solid lead and they were two fine goals, too; first Anthony Malbon registering after being set free by Gash and bearing down on goal, holding off his man and rounding Belford before slotting home.

Soon after, it was 2-0 and that man Joe Lolley was at it again; being played in by Gash before setting on his merry way around the Tamworth defence and into the area before curling a low finish beyond Belford and into the bottom corner - Belford then on hand to ensure it wasn't 3-0 minutes later as Lee Vaughan, up forward, struck a smart effort.

With ten minutes or so to go until the break Harriers might well have added a third through Amari Morgan-Smith's fine breakaway but his low effort drifted wide by a matter of inches, Lolley again trying his luck on 40 minutes though Belford held well.

Still the chances came - and at either end, too, as first Gash met an AMS cross with a thumping header that clattered off the bar before the Lambs' Peniket drove at Lewis with the Aggborough keeper matching the effort.

Tamworth immediately created pressure at the start of the second half and from this spell they pulled a goal back as a long throw was hauled into the area and nodded past Lewis into the back of the net from Peniket.

Harriers might have pulled one back through Gash on 55 minutes though his header was tipped over, but his strike partner AMS made sure of the matter just after with that key third; sweeping the ball smartly beyond Belford after fantastic work from Lolley to set him up.

Still the Lambs came back, though, and just before the hour mark they made it 3-2 with a magic moment of their own, defender David Morgan lifting a 30-yard free-kick up and over the wall as well as beyond Lewis, a very fine effort indeed.

Gash then headed another over three minutes later and, with 72 minutes on the clock there was yet another opening as Lolley was played in on goal; holding off two before shooting at Belford who greeted it with a save from his legs. 

With 77 on the clock AMS nabbed his second of the day as Harriers netted a fourth; he poked home being Jonny on the Spot after Jack Byrne initially met a corner delivery into the area - Burr's charges establishing a two-goal lead for the third time.

Would the two goal lead last? No, it would not but it was only because the home side duly stretched it to a three-goal margin with their latest goal on 83 minutes; more fine Lolley work seeing him cut inside past hapless defenders before teeing up skipper Kyle Storer who drilled in a beautiful low finish.

Even that would not be the end of the scoring, however, Tamworth's Chadwick registering at the other end with a tap-in after Lewis had done tremendously well to parry away Morgan's effort.

    Latest Match Reports