Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 29 Oct 13 at 22:45 PM


Marvin Johnson stepped off the bench to make one and score one as Harriers battled past Bradford Park Avenue 2-1 after extra time at Aggborough on Tuesday to make it into the First Round proper. 

After a late kick off of past 8:15pm, it was the delayed visitors who raced out of the blocks to create the first chance of the night, Jordan Deacey driving past a slip in the home back-line before charging down Lewis and firing at goal, the stopper equal to it with a good stop.

Joe Lolley registered the home side's first chance of the night on 14 minutes with some trademark trickery followed by a fierce drive that flew over, Nicky Boshell then up at the other end forcing another strong save from Lewis as he swivelled smartly in the area to get a shot away.

The visitors continued to etch out fine openings and another came on 20 minutes when Boshell, racing onto a counter-attacking ball into the danger zone, could only power his shot onto the foot of the post with Lewis beaten.

Skipper Kyle Storer blazed another effort off target and Malbon made Lamb work once more just near the end of the first half, the Harriers hit man again taking aim early in the second as well.

The hosts went forward with more purpose in the second period though ironically created few clear openings, Malbon with a couple of snapshots before Amari Morgan-Smith saw an effort deflected wide and Jackman watched a drive slice just wide.

Inside the last 15 minutes the night really should have had its first goal after a fantastic effort from Bradford's Davidson as he nipped past his man and curled an effort towards Lewis, though it thumped off the inside of the post and bounced.

With three minutes left of normal time Morgan-Smith again tried his luck for Harriers with a good turn in the area but the effort was well blocked by James Knowles as extra time arrived, 'AMS' making good just a minute into the first period as he stabbed home to finally break the deadlock from close range after a surging, driving run from substitute Marvin Johnson.

It proved an inspired change at the 90th minute as Johnson then struck his own effort into the net with around 103 minutes on the clock in  total; the winger turning and fizzing a delightful finish into the bottom corner of the net for 2-0.

Just as Harriers netted at the first period of extra time, so too the visitors got themselves back in it as they made it 2-1 through Chib Chilaka's low finish from a corner-kick routine but, in the end, the hosts held on.

    Latest Match Reports