Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Nov 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers exited the FA Carlsberg Trophy at the First Round stage as they were beaten 2-1 at Skrill North side Bradford Park Avenue on Saturday.

It was an early breakthrough for the home side as they took the lead on seven minutes; a strong overlapping run and cross from Paul Walker asking some serious questions of the reds' defence; Jamie Grimes stretched with all his might to meet it and cut it out but the ball bobbled just inside the near post and past Lewis.

Harriers attempted to hit-back through Joe Lolley with an effort that blazed over the bar followed by a low shot that goalkeeper John Lamb gathered comfortably enough.

Past the midway point of the first half Lolley and Jack Byrne both tried to bring Harriers level but to no avail, Richard Marshall then having a stab for the home side but Danny Lewis was happy to see that one roll wide.

On the half hour mark Alex Davidson forced a neat save from Lewis as he broke on the edge of the area with a low shot; John Lamb then equal to that up at the other end as he was brave to deny Anthony Malbon's attempt.

Davidson again was thwarted by Lewis on 38 with a blasted, low effort but from the resultant corner the hosts doubled their advantage as Chib Chalaka fired home from a corner after the visitors failed to clear.

Harriers did begin the second period brightly with efforts from debutant Aaron Brown and striker Michael Gash going close with more than one opportunity each as stopper Lamb was kept busy and on his toes.

James Dance's attempted header and a further effort from Brown kept up Harriers' interest in front of goal and three minutes after the hour there was a flashpoint as Bradford's James Knowles was sent off for his second yellow card in quick succession, the referee with no  option but to issue marching orders.

Just after, Lamb met Dunkley's header from a corner with a fine save to tip it over the bar, the same player later then heading down for Brown to stab an effort at goal that flew over the target from close range.

Ten man avenue defended manfully but, just moments after Davidson skied a real chance to make it 3-0 at one end with just seconds left of normal time, Michael Gash pulled a goal back for the visitors up at the other as he stooped to head home Lee Vaughan's cross.

That was to be, in the end, a consolation and no more as Bradford secured passage through to Round Two.

    Latest Match Reports