Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Dec 13 at 16:45 PM


Harriers enjoyed an FA Cup day to remember on Saturday as they powered into the Third Round at the expense of League 2 side Newport County, winning 4-2 at Aggborough

The visiting side began confidently and with just three minutes on the clock they went so close to an early goal that their fans started celebrating it; Connor Washington's neat turn in the area leaving him free to fire an effort at Lewis that was blocked, the ball rolling no more than a few inches wide of the post.

Harriers, slower to start, had their first sight of goal with a half chance just past the quarter-hour mark though Joe Lolley's header was comfortably held before, back with County, Tom Naylor sliced an effort wide.

On 18 minutes, though, Harriers broke the deadlock through Michael Gash as he curled a superb finish with the outside of his boot past the dive of Lenny Pidgeley and into the bottom corner - a fine solo effort indeed, and it was almost equalled by his team soon after another great passage ended with a low Callum Gittings shot that was well held.

The second goal would follow in due course, however, and it wasn't long in coming as that man Gittings nabbed it, keeping his finish low and into the net after the ball fell to him following another fine Pidgeley save, Lolley's initial shot giving him plenty to think about.

You never sensed that Newport were anything other than a serious threat on the attack and yet they were blown out of the water in terms of the first half as, in its dying stages, Harriers made it 3-0; Lolley slipping in Gittings just inside the Newport half - the midfielder driving all the way to goal before keeping his composure and powering past Pidgeley once more. 

Newport began the second half as they did the first and forced the games very first corner a few minutes after the beak as Washington's effort was deflected over, and shortly after Robbie Willmott fired a rising effort that beat Lewis but cannoned off the bar.

Three before the hour the lively Lolley was set free by Morgan-Smith and, hugging his favourite East Stand touchline, he charged down on goal before letting fly with a rasping drive that that flew across the face of goal and only narrowly off target.

On 63 minutes it was 4-0 as the superb goals just kept coming - the fourth for the home side was an effort from more than 20 yards as Gash was teed up at a free-kick before rifling his attempt past all, including Pidgeley, and into the bottom corner to the delight of the home fans.

Newport were never anything other than effortful and desire wasn't lacking - they got their first goal of the day on 79 minutes as Harriers failed to clear their lines from a cross into the area, leaving Willmott with the opportunity to finish from close-range, repeating the trick a few minutes later with his head to make it 4-2.

    Latest Match Reports