Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 18 Apr 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers won away for the first time since October on Good Friday as they kept up the pressure in the play-off race with a 3-1 success at Hyde. 

It was a bright beginning from the troubled hosts as they looked to quickly move the ball forward and attack Harriers but, after getting the ball up-field, the visitors scored with one of their first attacks as Michael Gash pulled the ball back from the by-line, Hyde's clearance falling to Amari'i Bell who kept up a good position, the youngster finishing for his second goal in as many games.

The response from the home side was good, however, and after defender Adam Blakeman had denied Nathan Blissett with a last-ditch tackle at one end, he was up in the attacking area with a fizzed cross that Danny Lewis gathered strongly.

Chey Dunkley then needed to do some defending just shy of the half-hour mark; his block was crucial in keeping David Poole's shot away from danger as he picked up on a ball forward.

However the hosts, who were good value after going behind, were level around ten minutes before the break as Blakeman, again charging forward, was on hand to pick up the ball from a corner before bending it around everybody and into the back of Lewis's net.

It was almost 2-1, too, soon after as the energetic hosts continued to push forward - getting in behind once again they were fortunate to see Adam Thurston's pile-driver swirl just the wrong side of Lewis's post when it looked destined for the net.

Two minutes after the restart and, presumably on the back of a half-time  talking to, Harriers pressed hard and went close through a Gash attempt that dropped just over; though Hyde responded with a chance of their own as Jordan Clark robbed Lee Vaughan of possession and drove at Lewis from close range, the stopper making a crucial save.

Substitutes Adrian Cieslewicz and Amari Morgan-Smith combined on 68 minutes for the latter to shoot firmly at goal, Kettings making a good save, so too to deny a similar effort from Gash as he picked up a central ball before taking aim himself.

But the changes from the bench would, eventually have their desired impact and, within two goals inside as many minutes they turned the game on its head; Cieslewicz finding Gash who did superbly before netting with the aid of the deflection, AMS then doing equally well to nod the ball past the goalkeeper before finding the net. Huge relief!

Gash might well have added a fourth in the final moments but he blazed over the target on the angle after timing his run well to beat the offside trap, Morgan-Smith doing likewise in added time.

    Latest Match Reports