Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Apr 14 at 21:30 PM


A barn-storming second half from Harriers put in-form Cambridge United to the sword on Tuesday night, a 2-0 win for Gary Whild's men keeping their play-off hopes alive.

It was a reasonably confident start from Gary Whild's team and they set about asking questions early on as Michael Gash and Nathan Blissett both had half chances against their former club that were dealt with comfortably enough, United's Delano Sam-Yorke looking a threat up at the other end having already performed well against Harriers twice this season.

With a little over a quarter-hour played the  lively Sam-Yorke had a fine opening and chance to make a breakthrough as he watched a ball down well from Luke Chadwick before unleashing a volley from close range that Daniel Lewis did well to keep hold of.

United's Ryan Donaldson saw an effort blocked away after the midway point of the half while Harriers man Lee Vaughan watched on as the similar happened up at the other end, Jamie Grimes forcing a save from the resultant corner.

Josh O'Keefe and Blissett both got shots away inside the area around the half-hour mark but saw them snuffed out by some good defending, Donaldson again testing Lewis for United soon after as the hosts were caught out at the back.

The second half began at 100mph as both sides traded time on the ball and, seven minutes after the restart the visitors created the first real, serious chance of the night as the hosts were caught napping from a corner, Tom Champion's rising shot turned wide by a strong save from Lewis.

Jack Byrne tried to take aim close to the hour mark but never really got true contact on his attempted shot as Norris was able to watch it down into his gloves. 

Just after, though, a simply superb counter-attacking move saw the home side get the first goal of the night, a ball cleared forward by Grimes finding Blissett who nodded it into the path of Gash; his deft touch played in Gittings who strode through the midfield area before supply Amari'i Bell who coolly kept his composure in supplying the finish.

On 70 minutes another fine move almost made it 2-0, the ball was rolled into the path of O'Keefe who unleashed a firm drive that beat Norris twice over, though narrowly fizzing just past the angle of his bar and post.

It was to be 2-0 just minutes later as a Harriers rampage left Cambridge bewildered, a simply sublime and astonishing effort from top scorer Gash doubling the advantage, an outrageous volley that was 'goal' as soon as it left his boot, looping up and beyond Norris who was left grasping at thin air.

    Latest Match Reports