Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Aug 14 at 21:30 PM


Harriers kicked off their home campaign in style on Tuesday night as they dominated Alfreton Town at Aggborough to record a convincing 3-0 victory. 

Harriers set about trying to hassle and trouble Alfreton from the off and within a couple of minutes Jack Byrne got a reasonable sight of goal before lifting a curled effort over the target occupied by Jon Harris-Stewart, one-time Aggborough man Dan Bradley doing similar for the hosts soon after as he looked to venture forward.

After the quarter-hour mark Harriers had two fine chances to steal ahead but desperate defending denied them on both occasions, a scuffed clearance deflecting Craig Reid's effort wide of the target before, from the resultant corner, Chey Dunkley saw a header cleared on the line.

That seemed enough to have lifted the tails of the home players, however, and on 24 minutes Dunkley went one better with the next corner routine, powering home an excellent delivery from Storer to leave the net bulging and Harris-Stewart well beaten.

The goal afforded Harriers a real sense of control on the game while frustration began to creep into the visiting ranks, cumbersome front-man Paul Clayton ushered into the referee's notebook for persistent infringement. 

The second period was quiet to get going and it needed that man Clayton's intervention from a defensive point of view as he nodded over a Kevin Nicholson corner delivery as the hosts added a little more pressure around the hour mark.

Successive corners kept the visiting defence creaking and groaning and, just after that hour mark, it was 2-0. After Dunkley had powered one fine effort wide and Reid had seen a low, accurate effort turned behind, a fine corner taken short to Nicholson saw a delightful ball dropped right on to the head of the central defender who made no mistake in grabbing his second of the night.

The service into the box from the wide areas was a delight throughout the night, particularly from Nicholson's boot and the home side looked a continued threat with Gash replacing Blissett for the final quarter-hour.

Into the last ten minutes and it was almost 3-0 as Aman Verma tried his luck -as Alfreton switched off he let fly from distance towards the near post with a rising effort that was met by a fine save from Harris-Stewart, a good strong palm tipping it over the bar. 

Just after, though, two did become three and it was from the head of Marvin Johnson; the wide-man getting his nut to one to cap a fantastic team move that saw quick-thinking Harriers cut through Alfreton with ease, Hodgkiss on the hop this time to supply the ammunition.

    Latest Match Reports