Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 25 Aug 14 at 16:45 PM


Ten-man Harriers let slip a two-goal lead on Monday as they dropped their first home points of the season in a frustrating 2-2 draw with Chester at Aggborough.

Harriers cracked themselves into the lead within six minutes as they combated a good early start from Chester to break the deadlock; a short corner delivery from Kevin Nicholson nodded back across the face of goal by Chey Dunkley and simply not dealt with by the Chester defence; Craig Reid able to square to Callum Gittings who poked home from close range. 

Before Chester were even able to get their bearings at going behind, they were further so - Harriers grabbing a second through a close-range Dunkley header after a poor punch from goalkeeper Freddie Hall; Reid almost adding a third moments later but he blazed over the bar with a powerful shot.

Two up in ten minutes almost became three in 20 minutes as Dunkley's header from an excellent Marvin Johnson cross was only kept out of the back of Hall's net by an equally-stellar defensive clearance on the line from Danny Taylor.

Chester really should have pulled a goal back on the half-hour mar as a slip on the wet surface allowed John Rooney in behind - he struck a fine cross into the centre to hit-man Chris Iwelumo but he could only find the top of the stand from six-yards out.

Chester continued to try and find a way through and they had a couple more chances before the break to grab a goal, Rooney with them both as one effort ballooned over the bar, the other comfortably gathered by Lewis.

There was real drama to end the first half and begin the second - firstly thanks to Johnson as he weaved his way inside the Chester defence before curling a great effort towards goal that Hall tipped over the bar with a fine save.

Then, within a minute of the second half getting under way, Harriers were dramatically down to ten men as Dunkley was sent off for handling the ball in the area - deliberately according to referee Paul Rees as Chester went on the attack. A penalty was awarded as a result but Iwelumo's penalty was excellently saved by Lewis who spread himself to his right.

Quite understandably the sending off gave Chester something of an impetus and they began asserting some real pressure - Rooney and Craig Hobson both going close before Sean McConville squandered an opportunity from just a couple of yards out with an hour played.

Four minutes later a Hobson header was met with a strong save from Lewis who was busier in this game than any of the four previous, the visitors enjoying an almost constant spell of possession as Harriers dug in and did their defending.

If Chester had dominance of the ball they never really did a lot with it - until, that is, the final ten minutes when they stepped up the pressure one again. They finally got their goal as Harriers conceded for the very first time this season, a deflected cross finding the head of Hobson who steered a super header beyond Lewis and into the net.

It was to become 2-2 with a due sense of dread for the hosts as the visitors went for the jugular, the equaliser coming with seven minutes left to play as a quickly-taken free-kick saw Gareth Roberts strike an effort off the post before Rooney slammed in the rebound.

    Latest Match Reports