Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Aug 14 at 16:45 PM


Harriers picked up an excellent 1-0 away win at Dover on Saturday as they stretched their unbeaten run at the start of the season to six matches. 

Harriers made two changes to their starting line-up for this one, Jamie Grimes and Aman Verma restored to the team. While Grimes was doing a job to keep control of the cumbersome Nathan Elder, Verma had one of the early chances for the visitors as he struck off target with a few minutes gone.

An Elder header was comfortably dealt with by Danny Lewis with nine on the clock while, just after, Nathan Blissett almost burst the side netting with a firm drive on the angle after he picked up on a ball at the near post.

Throughout a quiet first half, Harriers continued to have the better of the very few chances we had and the best of that bunch came on 18 minutes - Kyle Storer's pass finding Craig Reid who lashed an effort at goal that Mitch Walker did well to palm over the bar.

Although Elder kept Lewis alert with a header that was well saved early after the restart, Harriers surged ahead with a fantastic move to take the lead with just six minutes gone in the second half. 

The goal was taken beautifully by Jack Byrne and crafted beautifully from a pass from Kyle Storer that was stunning and capable of unlocking any defence - the two midfielders combining as Byrne took the ball down on his chest before rocketing it past the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Headed efforts were the order of the day as the hour mark came and went - typically was the man on the end of it for Dover as he again went close with another effort before Josh Gowling nodded over a Kevin Nicholson corner as Harriers looked to extend their lead.

The visitors threw on Michael Gash and Reece Styche in the final stages as they looked to stretch the advantage and, up at the other end, Gowling and Grimes stood firm with dominant performances to keep the sheet clean.

In the final moments Dover built up a head of steam as they looked for a way to level the scores thanks to a mammoth six minutes of added time at the end of the day, but Harriers held to claim an important victory.

In fact it was they who went closest to a second in those final moments as Nicholson's fine, low free-kick was turned around the post. 

    Latest Match Reports