Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 at 21:30 PM


Harriers fell to their first defeat of the season on Tuesday night as a single goal was enough to see them beaten at Southport on a frustrating evening.

Harriers started with real purpose and within a couple of minutes they'd had two good opportunities to take the lead - thwarted by the skills of goalkeeper Daniel Lloyd-Weston as he denied first Craig Reid's close-range header and, moments later, a distance effort from Reece Styche as he made his first start in red.

Lloyd-Weston was again needed after just ten minutes but he failed to come and claim a ball with any real conviction - it dropped at the feet of Reid whose curled attempt toward the far corner was well blocked away.

Southport responded with an early spell themselves, and after Richard Brodie's shot shaved the outside of the post from across the penalty area, David Fitzpatrick saw a shot blocked by Dunkley from close range.

It was the hosts who took what was arguably at that  point a lead they just about deserved, a tantalising corner delivery met by the head of Joe Connor who found the net at the second attempt after a good defensive block as Harriers conceded their first away goal of the term.

The visitors almost responded through a well-taken Kevin Nicholson free-kick that went wide and attempted volley from Marvin Johnson, and just five minutes before the break only Lloyd-Weston's reflexes prevented an equaliser as his strong hand turned over another Reid header.

Just over five minutes into the second half, Southport struck the woodwork in search of a second through Scott Kay's header, Brodie almost turning the rebound into the back of the net before Lewis claimed it.

The second half grew in to an entirely more frustrating affair for Gary Whild's men as Southport did well to keep them at arm's length, successive corners at least providing some pressure though the home defence managed to stay strong.

A scramble in the Southport area almost brought about that elusive equaliser as we etched towards the final ten minutes but, after chesting the ball down well, Storer could only lift an effort over Lloyd-Weston's bar.

There was a flashpoint just a couple of minutes later as Brodie was sent for an early bath - a second yellow card coming his way for a totally unnecessary arm in to the face of Gowling, just after which Dunkley planted a header over as Harriers threatened to make him pay.

    Latest Match Reports