Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 at 22:30 PM

Back to Winning Ways

Harriers bounced back from two straight defeats in emphatic style with a thumping 4-0 victory over Altrincham at Aggborough.

Gary Whild rang the changes after the setbacks at Southport and Braintree by handing a first start of the season to Michael Gash and a debut to Jake Green in defence.

The game was slow to get going and it was the visitors who showed first with Kyle Perry forcing a save from Danny Lewis while at the other end it took Harriers half an hour to get going with a thunderous shot from Jamie Grimes that smacked against David Parton's right-hand post.

The deadlock was broken on 37 minutes with Harriers' best move of the game so far; Jack Byrne found Craig Reid in the penalty area who deftly laid the ball into the path of Gash who lashed it home for his first goal of the season.  Three minutes later Reid was on hand to double the advantage firing in from close range after Marvin Johnson's low cross had been parried.  Johnson himself could have added another as Harriers came to life but fired over the bar from a narrow angle.

Former Harrier James Lawrie wasted a good opportunity to reduce the arrears early in the second half after Chey Dunkley's header fell at his feet but he blasted well wide.

Altrincham were reduced to ten men five minutes into the half when Simon Richman received his second yellow card of the night.  Midway through the half substitute Aman Verma fired narrowly wide after being set up by Gash.

Moments later Reid should have done better with a free header from Kevin Nicholson's cross as Harriers began to take control of the game but he sent the ball wide of the far post.  The visitors were reduced to shooting from distance and Steven Gillespie's shot that flew a foot over the bar was the best that they could muster.

Johnson added the third goal in the 71st minute; substitute Reece Styche's clever back-heel found Verma who switched the play to the left to Johnson in acres of space who fired into the far corner.  In stoppage time Styche wrapped the scoring up with his first goal for the club; receiving an inch-perfect pass from Nicholson he took the ball aroound Parton before stroking it into the empty net.

Gary Whild in his post match interview said, 'It was important to get a win, with style, and score goals. I was dissapointed to lose the last two games despite creating chances and was delighted the lads bounced back this evening with a win, 4 goals and a clean shee

    Latest Match Reports