Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 at 16:45 PM


Harriers and Halifax contested a goalless draw at Aggborough this afternoon amidst difficult circumstances off the pitch for the hosts.

Gary Whild’s side looked far more likely to find the net than their counterparts but, as has been the case in recent times, that all-important goal evaded them once more.

It means Harriers slip down one place into ninth after Woking beat Lincoln City, leaving them 10 points away from drawing level with fifth-placed Forest Green Rovers.

Boss Whild made one change to the team which lost 2-0 at Gateshead on Tuesday, as the versatile Jake Green made his fourth start of the season in place of Dominic Knowles, lining up down the right flank.

The Shaymen, who relinquished their 100% league record in 2015 with the draw, also made one change from their win over Braintree Town last weekend, as Danny Schofield replaced Adam Smith.

Harriers appeared the more dangerous side throughout and far more likely to score than their opponents, whose first shot on target came on the 89th minute.

The Shaymen failed to really test Danny Lewis, while Harriers had two fantastic opportunities to break the deadlock during the first half.

Firstly, Aman Verma stung the palms of ‘keeper Matt Glennon with a scorching free-kick from around 20 yards out shortly after the half-hour mark.

Then, seven minutes before the interval, it was Lee Hughes who had the terraces on their feet when he almost netted his second goal in his fourth league appearance for the club.

In plenty of time and space, the striker was able to pick his spot and unleash a sumptuous strike which rattled the underside of the crossbar and bounced clear.

Danny Wright was well-placed to calmly nod home the rebound, aiming to find his first goal for Harriers, but the offside flag was raised soon afterwards.

Halifax also had a goal ruled out for offside only 60 seconds earlier, as one-time Harriers loanee Richard Peniket slotted home from close range only to be thwarted by the flag.

Hughes and Callum Gittings had further efforts for Harriers inside the opening 45, while the most Halifax could muster was a half-chance from Danny Hattersley whose header was touched behind.

The visitors made two half-time substitutions and introduced both Adam Smith and Jamie Jackson but it was Harriers who continued to apply the pressure.

And the Reds came agonisingly close to finding the net on the 71st minute as both Wright and Hughes looked to pounce on a poor clearance by Glennon.

Wright advanced into the box, aiming to round the Town ‘keeper, but saw two attempts blocked by James Bolton before Hughes’ effort to the left was deflected out for a corner.

Earlier on, Gittings, who looked sharp throughout, saw a close-range effort hacked away after Jack Byrne set him up with a lofted pass, before Wright headed straight at Glennon four minutes later from the lively Green’s pinpoint cross.

A well-worked move between Jared Hodgkiss and Byrne then found Gittings on the edge of the box but his low strike was blocked behind as the hour mark approached.

Man-of-the-match and dependable skipper Josh Gowling headed a sturdy defence as he led by example to help Harriers seal a clean sheet, typifying this with a strong header clear from a Halifax free-kick, before heading narrowly wide at the other end at a difficult angle with seven minutes to go.

Scott McManus’ wild set-piece and Smith’s low shot after cutting inside with one minute left on the clock was the closest the Shaymen got to threatening.

Three points for Harriers would have been richly deserved after putting on a strong showing regardless of problems behind the scenes, but it wasn’t to be as their goal-shy run continued.

    Latest Match Reports