Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 at 22:45 PM


Jared Hodgkiss was sent off as Harriers slipped to a frustrating defeat at home to Aldershot Town.

From Hodgkiss’ dismissal, Brett Williams gave the Shots the lead from the spot, before Mark Molesley wrapped up all three points for the visitors.

The result, however, doesn’t alter Harriers position in the Vanarama Conference, as they remain in 11th place. 

Gary Whild made one change to the side which beat Torquay United 2-1, as Jamie Grimes dropped to the bench in favour of fit-again captain Josh Gowling.

Shots boss Andy Scott, meanwhile, made four alterations to the team which started Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Portsmouth in the FA Cup First Round.

Sam Hatton, Kieron Forbes, Andre McCollin and Manny Oyeleke replaced Mark Phillips, Jaydon Gibbs, Jordan Roberts and Tom Derry.

And it was McCollin who was involved in Aldershot's opener two minutes into the second half, as Hodgkiss conceded a penalty and was dismissed for the first time in his career.

The right-back pulled down McCollin in the box and referee Ian Hussin was quick to point to the spot and brandish the red card.

It was left to Williams, Town’s leading goalscorer, to duly stepped up and dispatch a low shot to Danny Lewis’ left, claiming his eighth goal of the campaign in the process.

Ahmed Obeng was sacrificed as Jake Green replaced him to plug the gap at right-back left by Hodgkiss.

On the 73rd minute the Shots doubled their advantage through Molesley, who cut into the box from the right-hand side.

Chey Dunkley was on hand to tackle for possession but unluckily for the defender, Molesley’s shot took a deflection and bobbled its way into the bottom left-hand corner.

Initially, the one-man disadvantage didn’t quell Harriers’ guile going forward, as a Dunkley header wide was sandwiched between two occasions where Nathan Blissett was released by high passes which allowed him to cut through Aldershot’s defence.

After 52 minutes, the striker was played in down the centre but shot tamely at Shots ‘keeper Phil Smith, before finding himself in a similar position five minutes later and unleashing a blocked shot which prompted cries of “handball” from the terraces.

The first half saw Harriers create several chances as Matt Robinson had his side’s best opportunity to break the deadlock after 19 minutes.

A high pass by Jack Byrne found Marvin Johnson in the box and allowed the winger to try an angled effort from the left which was parried clear by Smith.

In the ensuing scramble the ball fell to the on-running Robinson, who fired a low drive from the edge of the area which flashed just inches wide.

Johnson also sent a shot whistling past the post 15 minutes later, while both Obeng and Craig Reid fired shots at goal inside the opening 45 minutes.

In addition, Nicholson was on-form at set-pieces and almost repeated his goalscoring heroics against Torquay United with another direct free-kick - a slightly higher effort was this time, however, caught by Smith.

Aldershot threatened early on as Dan Holman stung Danny Lewis’ palms with a curling strike inside three minutes, while Molesley sent a couple of long-range efforts well wide.

Harriers did look the more likely side to grab a goal inside the first half but Smith wasn’t called into action often enough for the hosts to exert any dominance, while the Shots’ back line proved adept at intercepting their attempted through balls.

And although Harriers didn’t give up after going 1-0 down, Town’s second took the wind out of their sails somewhat.

Substitute Aman Verma spurned a good opportunity to pull one back late on, heading narrowly wide from another well-delivered Nicholson free-kick from the right.

But the game had already been lost, with Hodgkiss’ dismissal proving a pivotal moment as Aldershot took three points and a clean sheet from Aggborough.

    Latest Match Reports