Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 at 16:45 PM

REPORT: Harriers 0-2 Forest Green

Tireless Harriers saw no end to their tough start to the season on Saturday as two second half goals saw them beaten 2-0 at Aggborough by Forest Green Rovers. 

Table-topping Rovers had the better of the starts in terms of time on the ball but, in reality, in the first third of the game there was little action at either end.

Alex Palmer did perhaps have to be more alert than his counterpart, Jonny Maxted, as he swooped low at the feet of Curtis Guthrie as the hit-man snatched at a near-post chance after a quarter of an hour.

Harriers needed a fantastic save from the Albion on 23 minutes to stay level as his fingertips alone denied Guthrie's fine header at close range; Rovers almost making amends from the resultant corner as James Jennings powered a header over the bar.

The reds made use of Tahv Campbell's pace going forward and in the final stages of the half he was causing problems , bringing chances for Harriers through Andrew Fox, who shot wide, and Joe Clarke who saw an effort deflected away from danger.

Nine after the restart, Adam Dawson's trickery brought him a sight of goal and he did his best to take it, driving from 18 yards and forcing Maxted into a decent if routine save - soon after the visitors went within inches of a goal themselves as the lively Guthrie dragged one wide.

Just after the hour another dangerous delivery from Dawson almost saw Gurj Singh nod home, but Harriers were made to pay for a defensive lapse soon after, Elliot Frear's cross into the area bending behind the Forest Green players waiting for it, but unwittingly nudged into the path of the onrushing Marsh-Brown by Rowe-Turner, the striker lashing the finish into the back of the net.

James Jennings almost rubbed salt into that wound almost immediately as he went close to scoring a second with a strong header, but there was to be a second on 71 minutes as sub Jon Parkin netted within seconds of entering the field as he leapt well and directed the ball beyond Palmer who'd come to claim. 

With ten to go, sub Calvin Dinsley's crunching challenge presented Fox with another good sight of goal but while the young Peterborough man's effort was good, Maxted was able to watch it just wide of the tagret.

There might have been a third inside the final five minutes but as Parkin swept the ball to Aaron O'Connor, the striker's side-footed attempt was met by an excellent stop from young Palmer.

    Latest Match Reports